cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot set up service at new address

Opal
Friendly Neighbour
I am in the very stressful process of moving from a home i own to a rental property. I called to disconnect services at my current location and establish connection at my new location. I have been told that due to neglect of the previous tenant i am unable to connect services until the previous tenant deals with their account.
Before I share my thoughts on this I am interested to see if anyone has shared this experience?
15 REPLIES 15

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Very unusual. As long as YOU have a clear account with your current telecommunications provider, the behaviour of the previous tenant shouldn't matter. It is also not your responsibility to address that tenant's poor financial record.

I'd suggest trying again.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

rc
Rockstar

This is not normal, the usual problem is that the tenant does not cancel their service which results in problems with setting up services for the incoming tenant. Telus will try and contact the outgoing tenant to get them to cancel their service but in this case the outgoing tenant may not want to talk to telus.

The existing tenant will have to cancel their service before a new tenant service starts.

Opal
Friendly Neighbour

If this is true, the existing customer needs to cancel first, then a serious problem on the behalf of Telus has just been highlighted.

If continuing my service with Telus, which is my wish, is dependant on the actions of a third party I have no relationship with or control over whatsoever, then the issue is systemic, meaning it originates in the business practices of the company.

There is no reason for any Telus customer to have the ability to effect my service.

This now sets in motion a series of events. The person moving into the house I am moving out of is waiting for me to cancel my service which I will happily comply with once my service has been transferred to my new location.

Telus is not allowing my service to be connected due to the previous tenant.

I would like the service transferred without delay on July 27, 2018.

Any suggestions.

Opal
Friendly Neighbour

TELUS may suspend the Services if you contravene any provision of these Service Terms, including your obligation to pay for the Services as charges become due. While your service is suspended, you remain responsible for all regularly recurring charges. TELUS may terminate the Services (i) immediately and without notice, where TELUS determines that the action is necessary to protect the network from harm or to prevent fraud, (ii) if you do not remedy any other breach of these Service Terms within 15 days of receiving written notice of the breach from TELUS, (iii) if you become a bankrupt or, if you are a business customer, a receiver or receiver-manager is appointed to manage the affairs of your business, or (iv) for any reason, upon 30 days written notice to you. Upon termination of the Services, TELUS shall have no obligation to maintain any voicemail messages, contact information or other content related to your use of the Services and you agree that all such messages, information and content may be deleted immediately without notice to you.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Opal wrote:

I would like the service transferred without delay on July 27, 2018.

Any suggestions.

You have one option only. Call Telus. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Let's play Devil's Advocate for a minute:

@Opal wrote:

If this is true, the existing customer needs to cancel first, then a serious problem on the behalf of Telus has just been highlighted.

If continuing my service with Telus, which is my wish, is dependant on the actions of a third party I have no relationship with or control over whatsoever, then the issue is systemic, meaning it originates in the business practices of the company.

Let's say you contact Telus claiming to be the new tenant / occupant at my home. Telus disconnects my services, and sets them up in your name. In fact, you have the address incorrect, or are a prankster. I'm unknowingly without services for some reason, and you have none either. Telus, in fact needs some corroboration that the current customer is indeed releasing services.

Whether you can satisfy them with a copy of your tenant agreement, or a discussion / documentation from the landlord may be a possibility. However, that they have a contract with an individual for services at the address, even if they are heading for default, means that you can't simply claim you are now the occupant, and the current contract is null and void. There needs to be appropriate corroboration.

There is no reason for any Telus customer to have the ability to effect my service.

So, yes, to protect their customers, there is a possibility that the actions of one customer may affect another.

NFtoBC

Opal
Friendly Neighbour

In this situation TELUS has contacted the previous tenants and there is a problem on that end.

There is a lot of evidence that I am not attempting to sabbatoge anyone at that address.

There will now be evidence that new owners are trying to set up connection at my current address and I am in turn trying to set up connection at my new address.

The situation as it is now prevents me from setting up services at my new address.

Telus can confirm that the tenants no longer reside at that address.

I am dependant on internet access and need a land line immediately for personal safety communication concerns within my family.

It is easy enough to varify in person that I am the human rightfully living at the address and paying for the service.

Any other service is discontinued if the bill becomes overdue such as gas or electricity.

I will go in person to resolve.

Telus hands are tied by CRTC regulations and it's  terms of service. It cannot terminate a service without cause. What it can do is try and contact the tenant and confirm that they will be cancelling their services and the effective date of the cancellation.  If the tenant cannot be contacted then they cannot terminate the service , without  cause.

Normally this is not a problem as the tenant confirms that they are moving and the new subscribers service can be scheduled.

It is highly unusual for a tenant to move out without terminating or moving their service.

Talk to TELUS  see what they recommend.

Opal
Friendly Neighbour

Under the new broadband strategy, the CRTC aims to provide 100 percent of Canadians access to reliable, world-class mobile and fixed Internet services, which will be available with an unlimited data option.

Crtc considers internet access a fundamental human right.

My option if denied internet services is to file a human rights complaint?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Opal wrote:

Crtc considers internet access a fundamental human right.

My option if denied internet services is to file a human rights complaint?

No. They have deemed it a basic service. Very different than a fundamental human right.

NFtoBC

Opal
Friendly Neighbour

There should not be an issue here for my family to have our service relocated to a new address.

The previous tenants digital ghost remains at the address. 

I am quite upset at the level of difficulty I am experiencing to continue being a customer.

So internet is considered a “basic” right like access to drinking water.

This turns into a debate about basic rights because there is no satisfying reason when I can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that at this address I am the only human requesting service.

The previous tenants have left the home therefore suspending or discontinuing their contract at that address needs to happen

The previous tenant is not affected at all in this case.

On the other hand, my business is immediately compromised.

No sense at all.

Nonsense.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Opal wrote:

So internet is considered a “basic” right like access to drinking water.

No. It is considered a basic SERVICE like access to telephone or roadways. You don't have a right to it, rather it is to be made available in communities by one supplier or another so most, or all Canadians can avail of the service. (Subject to usual disclaimers)

You have been given a number of suggestions as to how you might move this forward. The Neighbourhood is inhabited by customers of Telus, who can do NOTHING to further your issue with Telus. If you provided a bit more detail as to what is happening, someone who has had similar experiences might be able to chime in and offer their experience.

NFtoBC

Opal
Friendly Neighbour

I’m disappointed in these comments.

In today’s world access to the internet is considered a basic right rather than just a service as outlined by the United Nations.

I posted here because in my dealings I was told it was quite an unusual circumstance due to the issues occurring beyond my control with a previous tenant.

I was curious if anyone else had experienced the same roadblock.

The replies I have received do not suggest a shared experience.

I have been a customer in good standing for years.

I shared exactly the information I was presented.

The comments are now becoming an attack.

On a much more engaged note, The issue has been resolved.

It involved me walking into a Telus store in person and asking for resolution.

The manager took down the info I have shared here and went up the chain of command.

A representative called me and said the issue with the previous tenant was resolved.

He cancelled the old account and set up my installation date.

I will not turn to a forum for support.

Peace out.

You have another option. Let Telus know that you are going to cancel all of your services and then see what their reaction is. I am sure that they don't want to lose you. If you don't get the desired results go with Shaw. It's an alternative.

polecat
All-Star

opal you have not supplied any information for people to inform or help you to a solution. The previous tenant has nothing to do with your situation (akin to the guy at the gas pump fills and then bolts the gas attendant wants you to pay for his before you can fill ). My thinking is that you have a history with telus that you have to resolve and then things will all work out for you. Water is basic anything else you find in life you use it and pay for it. NOTHING IS FOR NOTHING.