cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can there be temporary internet for LAN party in a remote location?

r1chard
Neighbour

Hello, 

As the title of question suggests, I'm looking to host a LAN party that isn't near internet infrastructure (In a converted barn, in the middle of a field).  It is however within range of the 4G LTE network and I do happen to own a Huawei B890 Smart Hub. 

Ideally I'd like to have normal internet connection for all the participants. Is heavy usage on this device/network feasible? Or should I be looking at some throttling solutions?

What can I do to solve my problem? Alternative solutions encouraged as well. I'm open to ideas. Love throwing LAN parties and it would open a whole new avenue of opportunity if I knew I could get connected in a remote place.

Thanks-

7 REPLIES 7

r1chard
Neighbour

I would like to add, there will be 30-35 Attendees

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Here are some issues I see:

• WAN throughput to the wider Internet is only 12 Mbps, so there is limited connectivity to the outside world.
  • Is most traffic is on your local LAN, or to a server somewhere? 
  • Can you obtain a large enough data plan to meet your needs without loss of connectivity? A break to reset your data might be a game changer.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

NFtoBC

12Mpbs should be enough for us to log onto Steam etc. We might run a stream or two I think?

Most of our traffic would be local, if you strip down the necessity of the internet at our event, it would be for people to log into game services and/or play MMO's (patching games). Any games that support LAN functionality (a dying breed) we will be using as well

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Gaming over a cellular connection is going to introduce some serious lag if the games have to connect to a remote server to play. That may not be ideal for any real-time games. If you had that many users trying to patch games you'd be stuck for quite some time waiting for everything to finish especially if the games have larger patches like Paths of Exile does. Some games also use more bandwidth than others when online. You may find with that many users you

If you have games that will run on a LAN, heavily push those before the rest. (Maybe break out the old retro LAN party games?)

If you have any Windows 10 users or users with older Windows versions with automatic updates enabled, watch that Windows Update doesn't try run also. That'll eat your bandwidth and data even more.

As @NFtoBC mentioned, does your mobile internet plan have enough data to handle this? You may end up burning through quite a bit of data with that many computers involved.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

It doesn't look like it does. Currently I'm looking into a WiFi extension device. Would it be possible to soup up our hosts internet connection for a day?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@r1chard wrote:

Would it be possible to soup up our hosts internet connection for a day?

You could offer your host a month of the highest speed available to him!

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Assuming there is a building on the property with regular internet, why not run an absurdly long cable? 100 meters is the maximum supported length for cat 6, is that enough? You can probably run 300 meters at 10/100 speeds, but I've never tried that. I'm assuming this is just temporary so personally I would just be stringing a giant cable across the field. For a more permanent installation look into the Ubiquiti point to point radios, assuming you have line of site.