cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arris PVR with Technicolor STB

rajanjohal
Organizer

I have an existing Arris PVR with a second STB (a very old Cisco 330 unit) and everything works fine.  I'll be upgrading both TVs to 4K in the next while and am wondering if I can move the Cisco unit to a third TV and add a Technicolor UIW4001 (bought in new condition on Craigslist) STB for one of the new TVs.

My concern is the three different brands of STBs all playing nicely together.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Chicnstu
Leader

The technicolor box you purchased off Craigslist might give you some issues getting it activated on your account. Telus does not offer 4k STBs for outright purchase so that box is definitely a rental that was not returned when someone cancelled their services. They would have been billed for the cost of the box as non-returned equipment. You will probably still be able to use it but you'll have to explain this to Telus as they might need to remove the MAC address and reg code from the other account before it can be activated on yours.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
All brands will place nice together although the 330 will perform slowly compared to the newer boxes/hardware.

Chicnstu
Leader

The technicolor box you purchased off Craigslist might give you some issues getting it activated on your account. Telus does not offer 4k STBs for outright purchase so that box is definitely a rental that was not returned when someone cancelled their services. They would have been billed for the cost of the box as non-returned equipment. You will probably still be able to use it but you'll have to explain this to Telus as they might need to remove the MAC address and reg code from the other account before it can be activated on yours.

That is a good point and that was what I thought as well seeing that 4K boxes are not for sale anywhere but Telus.  However, I have seen many 4k STBs and PVRs for sale on Kijiji and was always wondering how.  In some ads, the seller had clearly written that it was free and clear.  Never investigated it further as I already have them but always wondered how it is possible and what might happen to someone buying it.

Thanks for the inputs and thoughts everyone.  I'll try activating the Technicolor STB over the weekend and report back how it goes...

So here's the saga.  I tried to get the box working on my own and it ultimately did not.

The first few attempts resulted in the new STB moving past the initializing screen, but then stalling with an error message and the only option being to "Quit Client".

Doing a bit of research led me to try downloading new software to the STB by pulling the power cord 4 consecutive times.  This didn't work.  The STB would always result in a screen that indicated that "something didn't look right".

I then tried restarting the T3200 modem before connecting the STB and that didn't work either.

Admitting defeat, I called Tech Support.  The lady that helped me was able to get it working in about 10 minutes.  She performed a factory reset on the T3200 before attempting to get the STB working.  I don't know if she made any other changes, but she did say that if the home connection is on Fiber, then removing a STB from an old account and attaching it to a new account is not required.

All 3 boxes work together fine.

Glad to hear it's all working. Fibre customers that are running on the newer billing system do not have the same restrictions for reg codes and locking a box to an account as the old system. Almost every Fibre customer has been migrated over to that system now so it's something that should happen few and far between going forward.