Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A few questions

NightHawk007
Organizer

1. New fibre install next week 

2. Is wired available for the 4k PvR for two tv's 

3.Will i be able to use my own router for internet ? My router is hp server used with PFsense .

4 How is the phone wired from the tm3200 ?

5. Does purefibre give me email through telus 

6. Crossing my fingers i am currently on shawcable and there is so many headaches over the past 40 years with shaw  

20 REPLIES 20

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@NightHawk007 wrote:

1. New fibre install next week 

Enjoy!

2. Is wired available for the 4k PvR for two tv's  

The 4K PVR should be connected by Ethernet to your T3200M router supplied by Telus. Additional set-top boxes can be connected by Ethernet or Wi-Fi to the T3200M. 

3.Will i be able to use my own router for internet ? My router is hp server used with PFsense .

You can bridge the T3200M to your on router for your internal network. It is usually recommended  to connect your Optik TV system to the T3200M.

4 How is the phone wired from the tm3200 ? 

It is connected to the Optical Network Terminal (ONT), not the T3200M. A standard telephone jack on the ONT is connected to your home telephone wiring.

5. Does purefibre give me email through telus 

I understand it to be available as an add on for an additional fee. You can also use free, paid, or your own domain email.

6. Crossing my fingers i am currently on shawcable and there is so many headaches over the past 40 years with shaw  

Hopefully the change goes smoothly.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

One last question 

How large is the hard drive in the dvr and can be changed for larger or can a external hard drive be used ?

1tb and no external hard drive can be used

How about swap out the 1Tb drive and install higher capacity .I have 8Tb on shaw installed 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The HDD is encrypted to the PVR, so unlikely. In addition, the purpose of the HDD is not to build a large library of recordings, but to allow time shifting. If your PVR ceases to work, or is upgraded, all your recordings become unavailable to you. With the ever increasing availability of On Demand titles, keeping recordings is less necessary.

NFtoBC

the biggest problem with the hard drives in these dvr is the poor quality drive i replaced mine in the shaw box to a purple western digital 8tb and never had problems .Just pull the old drive and install new drive and install new drive and plug in dvr and on bootup asks to format drive click yes and done new drive installed and ready to go .I see on the telus arris dvr in the manufactures manual says the drive can be replaced . 

You're on your own.

I'd be curious to see how well it works though.

The other question before the install on thursday is since we are getting the 4k pvr and one other tv hooked up to .Does the cat5 for the second receiver is it hooked up to the main pvr or to the tm3200 ? and it connection cat5 or coax 

@NightHawk007  The non pvr receiver can work via WiFi or network cable that would be connected to the T3200M. Unless you have a network cable at that location already. The installer will more then likely just have the secondary receiver connected via WiFi instead of routing via coax and Moca adapter(s).

It will be pvr in two rooms and i see no reason to use crappy coax cat5 would be better and faster .

If you have cat5 at the 2nd receiver location and home run back to the router location it will be done. Otherwise will be Wi-Fi connected.

Well if that is the case i guess i may not get fibre internet .Wifi is useless and spotty at best .

The installer will see the location and decide what’s best. Wifi on the receiver works fine even in 1500sqft+ homes it’s not an issue. They have multiple ways at their disposal for network connectivity.

I run two optik receivers via wifi without any issues on multiple floors.

Generally if you want hard wired network jacks ran through the home (various locations) it’s the owners responsibility to run that cabling. Telus will terminate those runs for you.

Fibre is still the way to go and your network speeds no matter hard wired or Wifi the installer will have it working at its peak performance before he leaves.

Well i see the installers around here and they are $tupid and have no idea what they are doing .I worked in the industry and wifi is no a solution at all (it's easy that why not better ) I guess telus is like shaw use barrel connectors to lengthen coax when changing the coax is far better cheap is better than doing it right .

No wonder telus has so many problems using moca adapters and wifi !!  

So no more answers i guess since i now found out that telus port blocks and want a fee to unblock ports and pay extra for email and also have to pay for install or most of it yourself .

Don't understand this fraudulent company wants more money from what shawcable gives for free .

Telus will not hardwire only wifi 4k tv what a joke if you want hardwire you have to pay them or install the cat6 yourself because they only use cat5e .

I would of thought Telus was upfront but NO they lie and screw the Customer without a happy ending or a reach around .

WHAT I CAN SAY TO ANYONE GOING THE TELUS ROUTE YOU BETTER ASK QUESTIONS BUT EVAN THEN THEY LIE .YOU GET WIFI FOR 4K GOOD LUCK WITH THAT JOKE AND ONLY HARDWIRE WITH CAT5 OR CAT5E WHAT A JOKE CAT6 MINIMUM NOW CAT7 IS CHEAP AND BETTER THAN CAT6 WITH SHIELDING .

WHAT A JOKE .

SIGNED 

GOOD LUCK TELUS 

This is a particularly novel thread; it started out so hopefully and ended so badly. Lol.

But just to go wide on the WiFi thing, in general, if you're in the metropolis, I guess it's fine, but in the country, forget it. I mean, if you have a rock sitting 10 paces from your back door and the sun hits it exactly wrong on a windy day with low humidity while the neighbor's dog is barking at howling coyotes...you're not getting WiFi, and no tech can help you without witchcraft.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Lola wrote:

... but in the country, forget it. I mean, if you have a rock sitting 10 paces from your back door and the sun hits it exactly wrong on a windy day with low humidity while the neighbor's dog is barking at howling coyotes...you're not getting WiFi, and no tech can help you without witchcraft.

Thanks @Lola. I'm now cleaning coffee from my computer screen and my nasal passages.

NFtoBC

Too bad there is no real answers here Just like call centers .Plus the drop line they telus uses is not meant for drop line how long will that last before the light signal degrades all to cut costs !!!

Dude, we're all customers here trying to help each other out. There's not really a point in getting snarky because you can't get the answer you want. Like they said, you want Cat6 or 7, wire it up yourself. No provider gives platinum level service. I ran 5e and it's been fine but I did it at my expense.

NightHawk007:

1. Specifically blocked ports is common knowledge and that info has been out for well over a decade.

2. They won’t charge to unblock ports. All ports are available on business plans, not home ones.

3. Cat5e will handle gigabit speeds. Cat 6 would be borderline overkill and shielded Cat 7 is total overkill in both price and 10Gbps speed. No home network will ever need that king of bandwidth let along have enough devices with a 10Gbps NIC. None of the standard modems or routers will do that speed either. 10Gbps routers and switches are expensive. Cat 7 would be a waste of money.

4. It’s your house and you are free to wire it yourself as you please. If you want Cat 6 or better, get an electrician to wire up your house and stop complaining. I extremely doubt Shaw is doing Cat 6 let alone 7 installs. Most places that want insane networks wire it themselves or have an electrician do it.