Sports Channels - Add MLB Network

SportsGuy
Organizer

The rights to Major League Baseball Playoffs seem to be shared between Sportsnet and the MLB Network.  MLB Network is now available in Canada, but is seemingly only available on Rogers Cable systems in eastern Canada.  There are no options available to baseball fans and Telus customers in western Canada who want to watch these playoff games.  

It would be like NHL Network having the rights to part of the hockey playoffs, but no one carried the channel, so the game couldn't be viewed.  

Please add MLB Network as soon as possible, before anymore playoff games are missed!  

Category:
Comments
BasesLoadedWalk
Advisor
I fully agree that it would be great for Telus TV to carry the MLB network for the 2015 season.
ambert
Connector

Hi @SportsGuy 

Thanks for the suggestion. We will reach out to our content team to see about the MLB and let you know when we hear more.

Cheers,

Amber

ambert
Connector

Status changed to: Under Review
Chrisjohnson83
Resident

I have been waiting for MLB Network since it was officially approved to be available to Canadian providers. Please make this happen ASAP

jasonmaksimow
Connector

I too have been patiently waiting for the addditon of MLB Network.   It is now available in Manitoba on MTS TV as well.   I watched many hours of it while home visiting family over the holidays.   i would love to see it picked up in time for the 2015 season.  

We already have the NHL, NFL and NBA networks, so why not MLB?

SportsGuy
Organizer

Hey Telus, it's now 2015 and MLB has had its opening day.  Still no MLB Network!  You need to get this before the playoffs when we'll be missing out on playoff baseball.  Five months to go!

jasonmaksimow
Connector

I agree with SportsGuy, I am patiently waiting for MLB Network.   IF you can add the WWE Network why not MLB?   I still don't understand why NHL, NFL, NBA networks are available but no MLB.

CalgaryJaysFan
Just Moved In

I would love to be able to subscribe to the MLB Network through Telus.  I know it is recently available in Canada, but only to Roger's Customers in parts of Ontario.  Are there any plans to make it available in Alberta on Optik TV?  

Thanks!!

Handelb
Just Moved In

It is a real let down for baseball fans like myself that Telus Optik TV does not offer the MLB Network. Every other TV service has it so I see no reason why that it isn't even an option with Telus.  Please look into this.

Sincerely- Telus customer who isn't afraid to switch in order to watch more baseball. 

Community Power User
Community Power User
SportsGuy
Organizer

OK Telus, so what's the story?

Here is the 2015 MLB Post-Season Schedule, that shows a pile of games potentially on MLB Network, that Optik TV customers won't have access to:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/schedule/ps.jsp

You've had almost a year to figure this out, and we're now 6 weeks from the playoffs.  What is your plan to make sure that we'll be able to watch all the games?

SportsGuy
Organizer

No, you can't.  That's MLB.tv - the out-of-market game subscription product.  MLB Network (a channel with its own content) cannot be streamed through the website.

jasonmaksimow
Connector

Yes,

This is very frustrating as it seems that we are potentially going have a repeat of the situation of last season where games are not available in Alberta.   If MLB Network Canada has exclusive rights to certain playoff games in Canada, how can one of the largest cable companies in the country not make the channel, or at least the game available to their customers.

Baseball may not be hockey, but there are a significant number of baseball fans in this country.

We are getting tired of being denied access to the channel and to certain games because of whatever disputes or disagreements may exist between the major cable companies.

It's clear that customers we come last.

ODAWG27
Connector

Yeah we need MLB Network ASAP!! It's a must for sports fans! 

allornothing1121
Just Moved In

Does this mean we may miss out on Jays playoff games?  Won't SportsNet carry them all?

BasesLoadedWalk
Advisor

I too am really wishing Telus would add the MLB Network. That channel has many live games, as well as programming that I feel many baseball fans in Canada would appreciate. Please strongly consider this.

ODAWG27
Connector

Can we please get MLB Network ASAP?!? It's definitely a must have for baseball fans. I guarantee there are lots of people who would like this channel ASAP! 

BasesLoadedWalk
Advisor

I too would like Telus to add MLB Network to their Optik TV channel lineup. Rogers, SaskTel, MTS have all added this channel. There are some playoff games that are only available with this channel, and couple that with how well the Blue Jays are doing lately, baseball interest is growing. I subscribe to MLB Extra Innings, and this channel should be a part of that subscription.

ODAWG27
Connector

This channel has been made available in Canada for almost TWO YEARS yet still, those of us in Western Canada are robbed of not being able to watch it! Hopefully this changes soon! This is a MUST for baseball fans! 

ODAWG27
Connector

Please add MLB Network!!!!