cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BJenkins2020
Just Moved In

I don't understand why AB TELUS Optik TV customers cannot access Knowledge BC channel, yet SHAW TV digital customers can. What's the problem?

I lived in BC and am a Knowledge BC partner. I have to view their programs online, yet my friends who subscribe to SHAW can view them on their televisions.

3 Comments
Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

This unfortunately isn't an issue that Telus currently has any control over.  The Knowledge Network is a BC only regional broadcaster that doesn't have broadcast rights or the CRTC license to offer their content outside of BC on terrestrial TV providers (Telus, Shaw, Bell, Rogers, etc). Since Knowledge was originally a satellite based service, they fall into a very tiny category of CRTC licensing that still allows some satellite service providers to offer the channel outside of BC. That could include Shaw Direct. Unless Knowledge renegotiates their content agreements and CRTC license (which doesn't expire until August 31, 2023), we won't see it in Alberta.

Viewing their programming online is presently the only option available to Albertans.

BJenkins2020
Just Moved In

I can read and understand your response, thanks.

There are other regions outside of BC which Knowledge Network broadcasts. I still don't really see why Shaw can carry it yet Telus can't. Telus can carry channels from all around the world, and yet can't offer something within Canada? Anyway .. not happy.      

Status changed to: Completed
Amyj