cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bmin
Just Moved In

I have a pvr upstairs and a secondary optik box downstairs in the tenants suite.  How do you disable the pvr features on the secondary optik box so my tenant doesn’t have pvr options? I don’t want the tenant on the secondary optik box to record or see my recordings. The Telus tech agent I spoke to says this can’t be done.

Is there another agent who knows how to do this?  Can this be request be sent to the manufacturer to resolve? 

Thanks!

5 Comments
Bmin
Just Moved In

Can’t be the only one who has this issue 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The tenant's set top box needs to be on a separate network. That way the two boxes can't see each other. It's also a good idea for your tenant to not be on your network either to keep your devices more secure. Basically you need to connect a separate router between the main Telus one and the tenant's suite. Tenant will have separate wifi, hardwired connections, and their set top box should not be able to see the PVR. The hard part is finding a router that's capable of handling the multicast data traffic needed for Optik.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Historically, the residents of a secondary suite purchased their own telecommunications services. 

xray
Hero

I wonder if the tenant can even get their own account if there isn't a separate address for the suite.

Status changed to: Closed
psl
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

@Bmin The information that you've been given is correct. Optik set top boxes connected to the same network will have the PVR capability, and can't be disabled. In most cases, tenant suite should be able to their own separate services, to explore this option, please give us a call at 1-888-811-2323.