cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sarah_Stang
Just Moved In

Customers on Galiano Island frequently get mistaken for travelling to the US since we are very close to the border. We get roaming notifications and charges often, and to-date have had to call in each time to request the charges be removed. We have had inconsistent service for these requests including sometimes having to pay all or part of the roaming charges when we haven't left the island. It seems to depend on which agent handles the request.

For many of us the Verizon signal is actually stronger than the Telus signal.

Please add Galiano Island to the accidental roaming zone so that we don't have to individually reach out each time!

9 Comments
achild17
Just Moved In

Yes, agreed!  I am a Telus user and my cell phone often thinks it is in the USA when on Galiano Island, Canada!  This is especially true at the Galiano Golf course at the south end of Galiano. Please help! 

Allisonashcroft
Just Moved In

Me too re roaming notifications and charges. I'm on south end of galiano where I use mobile phone as my only phone and also use telus smart hub for internet services. 

Tderasp
Just Moved In

Yes!! Same here, on top of constantly being told by Telus reps that we have full cell service here, when I don’t get service at all the majority of the time 

j_dahl
Just Moved In

Adding a comment from neighboring Saturna Island, where this is also a huge issue!  Much of our island falls into the "US" service area.  Many of us also have issues with roaming notifications.  Each and every month my sister has to call telus to have roaming charges removed which is a huge headache.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You can go to the carrier settings on your phone, and change from ‘Automatic’ and select ‘Telus’ from the list which populates. This will prevent your phone from connecting to other networks.

ArtMoses
Just Moved In

I live on the North End of Galiano and always get notices by email and text that I’m in the United States when I drive to the South End. Very annoying. Galiano is in Canada, not the U.S.A.

Status changed to: Duplicate
Amyj

Sarah_Stang
Just Moved In
Duplicate of what? There's no other post asking for Galiano Island to be included in the accidental roaming zone.

--
Sarah Stang
250-539-0799
Rocky3
Rockstar
Many years ago living in White Rock the phones would always roam on both sides of the border. Back then Telus had a reciprical agreement with US providers and there were no charges for roamng within (by memory) 5 miles of the border. That disappeared to my knowledge.

The correct answer was given a year ago. This is the solution today while still in Canada to avoid the roaming charges. Also, I had a battle with Telus over 5G everywhere in the gulf islands, NOT.

‎09-09-2022 10:31 AM

Adding a comment from neighboring Saturna Island, where this is also a huge issue!  Much of our island falls into the "US" service area.  Many of us also have issues with roaming notifications.  Each and every month my sister has to call telus to have roaming charges removed which is a huge headache.