Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
50% helpful (1/2)
A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Evolution of Optik TV

We're thrilled to introduce a new evolution of Optik TV, with great features and new TV packages!

Starting February 7, 2023, the new Optik TV packages have all the entertainment you want while allowing you to customize your experience like never before. Keep everyone in the family entertained with the broad content choices available across Live TV, On Demand, and streaming services while, depending on your plan, enjoying new features such as unlimited recordings ¹, universal search, personalized profiles, and much more.

Optik TV Evolution.png

New Optik TV Packages ²

All plans come with Core channels which include up to 36 HD channels, as well as local favourites. If you choose a Core+ Premium package, you can select Premiums such as Netflix or Crave. For your Premium option, you can also select Pick 5 where you can choose 5 channels from a selection of popular channels. If you want even more content, we offer Combo packages such as 4 Theme Packs + 1 Premium and 7 Theme Packs + 1 Premium where you can choose from popular theme packs such as Amazon Prime, Sportsnet & Beyond, and Blockbusters.

Unlimited Recordings ³

Introducing cloud recordings, providing unlimited recording capability of up to 45 days, so you can record programs to watch later, at home, or on the go with the TELUS TV+ app. The Recordings bundle - our cloud PVR service - is included in all Combo Packages, and can be added to Core plans for $5/month.

Personalized Profiles

Say goodbye to watch history that isn't your own, and say hello to a personalized profile of your own TV heaven, where you can filter out content from other members of the household so you're only viewing YOUR favourite shows and movies. We've also not forgotten the kids! You'll also have the ability to set up Kids profiles with maturity filters for age-restricted content including OTT apps.

Universal Search

TV Search is now universal so you spend less time searching and more time watching. You can conveniently search across Live TV, On Demand, and select OTT apps 4 at the same time. Best of all, you can search however you want - show titles, episode titles, cast and crews, descriptions, multiple genres, or alternative spellings. Discovering content has never been easier!

Voice Remote

Optik TV just got a little smarter. Powered by Google Assistant 5, you can control your TV with commands like ‘Show me what’s on now’, ‘open Netflix’ or ‘Watch HBO’. Simply use the built-in microphone on your TELUS Remote to use voice to text in the search bar.

Sports Zone

We’ve got you covered, sports fans! With the launch of Sports Zone on Optik TV, you can customize your view of eligible events across major sport leagues and navigate to games you have access to that are in progress or upcoming with a click of a button.

TELUS TV Digital Box

With great new packages, comes with great new software & hardware updates. The new TELUS TV Digital Box 6 provides thousands of apps right at your fingertips via the Google Play Store 7. With Bluetooth connectivity, you can safely hide the box or enjoy its smaller and sleeker design. Set up is also easy and straightforward. No need to wait for a technician! Plug in the new TELUS TV Digital Box at your convenience, and in a few easy steps, you can kick back, relax, and start watching your favourite shows.

Watch on the Go

Never miss a show with the TELUS TV+ app. You can access your Optik TV subscription and watch on the go using your smartphone, tablet, Apple TV, or Android TV. 8

For more information on the new Optik TV packages, go to TELUS.com/optikpackages 

Have a question about Optik TV and can't find the answer? Ask the community here at the Neighbourhood.

TELUS, the TELUS logo, Optik TV, telus.com and the future is friendly are trademarks of TELUS Corporation, used under license. 

© 2023 TELUS. All rights reserved.

1 Recordings are available to watch on your TELUS TV Digital Box or on the TELUS TV+ app on compatible devices as a $5/month add-on. Recordings are only available to watch in Canada. If streaming recordings on a mobile network, regular data charges apply.

2 TELUS reserves the right to modify channel lineups and packaging without notice. HDTV input equipped-television required to watch HD. Final eligibility for the services will be determined by a TELUS representative.

3 Recordings are available to watch on your TELUS TV Digital Box or on the TELUS TV+ app on compatible devices. Recordings are only available to watch in Canada. If streaming recordings on a mobile network, regular data charges apply.

4 Current as of February 7, 2023. OTT app search functionality is only available with Netflix. 

5 Google Assistant is a trademark of Google LLC

6 The TELUS TV Digital Box is the property of TELUS and is provided as a monthly rental for a regular price of $5/mo. Customers on a 2-year service agreement receive a $5/mo discount equivalent to the price of the rental. Current rental rates apply thereafter. Rental equipment must be returned in good condition upon cancellation of service, otherwise the replacement cost will be charged to the account. Free installation and equipment rental is not available with Optik TV Basics. Downgrading to Optik TV Basics after accepting a promotional offer will trigger the cancellation fees associated with the plan and the installation and equipment rental charges.

7 Requires an active Google account. Available only with select Optik TV packaging. Requires a compatible Android TV enabled TELUS TV digital set top box.

8 Not all content is available. Access to available content depends on Optik TV channel subscription. Mobile access is for use in Canada only, on select devices within wireless network coverage areas. Data charges may apply. For more details, please see telus.com/en/support/article/telus-tvplus-app.

Was this article helpful? Yes No
Comments
giantbrownguy
Rockstar

Nice to see!

giantbrownguy
Rockstar

Meant to ask, is there a pathway to upgrade our legacy equipment?

Budlat
Just Moved In

Yah.  I read all about it on your site and thought “Cool, my contract expired months ago, so I’ll upgrade to this new system!”  Wrong.  They wouldn’t let me.  Spent couple hours on phone with two different “Loyalty” reps.  Very frustrating. For some reason they clearly do NOT want to roll this out for you unless you’re a BRAND NEW customer (not an existing interested in continuing to be a customer).  After too much time on phone I agreed to renew with my old equipment in return for better pricing.  But pissed me off and I probably won’t renew with Telus again.

RyDawg
Advisor

At first I was excited for this announcement, hearing that Google Play apps would be supported, which would fix the old Optik TV's biggest problem which is the lack of streaming apps, as well as features like universal search, finally brining Optik TV to the same level as Shaws BlueCurve system. However, I am now hearing concerns from others that the new boxes unfortunately have worse picture quality. Hope that is fixed soon, cause if not then we may just go over to Shaw BlueCurve considering they have the streaming services the old Optik lacks.

buckycat
Leader

Is this available to existing customers yet?

giantbrownguy
Rockstar

I reached out to support online to ask. They said they are doing it in waves, and the first seven waves should hear something by April 18th. Apparently we are going to get an email advising of the option to upgrade and be able to request it at that time.

giantbrownguy
Rockstar

@A-B Any information yet on an upgrade path for existing customers?

Bryan_1
Just Moved In

Contract came up for renewal late Jan 2023 and I thought that I had renewed and upgraded to this new service and would send me the two new boxes to convert. Well the two new boxes arrived and are not the new TelusTV-21T boxes but old 4K boxes. After a long time on the phone with the loyalty dept it was established they did not sign me up for the appropriate account and not much could be done at this point. Disappointing as it appears unless they are offering rolling upgrades I am stuck with this antiquated Optik 4K equipment for another two years.

Don't understand why they can't send me the new hardware, as it's clear from the web site it's just a matter of swapping over and configuring from home. The loyalty dept said my only option was to do without service until the boxes arrived ~1 week or have a tech attend.

Budlat
Just Moved In
Yep. Strange approach to customer loyalty.? Think I will switch next year.
--
Bud
Cakehead
Just Moved In

The new system is not very user friendly.  It has small delays which are comparable to trying to talk to someone with a short delay.  The system and the combined remote control do not have good functionality.  I thought I'd just buy a universal remote but no, they new Telus TV box does not seem to work with universal remotes.  Not sure why Telus would not have kept the functionality of the old remotes that worked so well.

Bryan_1
Just Moved In

Well that's disappointing to hear, would have thought they bugs would have been ironed out, maybe it's a good think they stuck me with staying on the Optik TV system. Although reliable I suppose, it is so dated. Like navigating a 90's web page. Try and find anything using Crave channel 411 is painful.

Budlat
Just Moved In
Yes, Crave was driving me crazy. Finally got a smart TV. Was able to load the Crave app on it. It’s much better than the Optic interface and brings everything to one place. Took some effort to get the app to acknowledge my Telus subscription…
--
Bud
Bryan_1
Just Moved In

There is a app button on my Optik TV remote, but for some reason they don't include Crave. And yes, I do the same now, use the Amazon Firestick to access the Crave App. Honestly if I could get a couple channels from a antenna I would dump network TV altogether, most of it's garbage.

Version history
Last update:
July
Updated by:
Community Manager
Contributors