cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why wont my phone work

FutureFriendly
Helpful Neighbour

I got home from Jamaica over an hour ago and my iPhone is still sitting at no service, is anyone else having same problems in Toronto, or did they somehow zap my phone because I didn't have it in airplane mode? Cat Surprised

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

SaiFi
Organizer

If you are still experiencing same issue, do a complete power cycle. Take out the battery and put it back in again. That’s my first troubleshooting step for any phone related issues. Hope this works for you. 

View solution in original post

AskBedo
Organizer

Hello FutureFriendly,

As SaiFi said normally it is best to remove battery and reinsert it but since the iPhone's battery cannot be removed (and we do not suggest you do :P) then the first thing you can do is turn off the phone and turn it back on.

If that does not work, it is because there is a misconception that 3G automatically means data. What happens is that due to that misconception, most people turn off the 3G on their devices when really they should be turning Data Roaming off.

So this is what I suggest you try:

Pre-iOS 7:

1. Go into Settings, tap on General, and then Cellular. There you will see 3G and you just need to ensure it says On. (Note this is only valid for iPhone 3G/3GS/4/4S as iPhone 5 will show LTE). If it persists, please move on to the next step.
  2. In Settings, tap on General again, and then on Reset. From there please select Reset Network Settings. Please note that this will ONLY erased your saved Wi-Fi networks and nothing else. You will have to reconnect to all previous Wi-Fi locations you were automatically connected to. 
  3. Phone will restart with Apple logo. You should have your TELUS service bars back.

iOS 7 & Later:

1. Go into Settings, tap on Cellular. There you will see 3G and you just need to ensure it says On. (Note this is only valid for iPhone 3G/3GS/4/4S as iPhone 5 will show LTE). If it persists, please move on to the next step.
  2. In Settings, tap on General again, and then on Reset. From there please select Reset Network Settings. Please note that this will ONLY erased your saved Wi-Fi networks and nothing else. You will have to reconnect to all previous Wi-Fi locations you were automatically connected to. 
  3. Phone will restart with Apple logo. You should have your TELUS service bars back.

Hope this answers!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

SaiFi
Organizer

If you are still experiencing same issue, do a complete power cycle. Take out the battery and put it back in again. That’s my first troubleshooting step for any phone related issues. Hope this works for you. 

AskBedo
Organizer

Hello FutureFriendly,

As SaiFi said normally it is best to remove battery and reinsert it but since the iPhone's battery cannot be removed (and we do not suggest you do :P) then the first thing you can do is turn off the phone and turn it back on.

If that does not work, it is because there is a misconception that 3G automatically means data. What happens is that due to that misconception, most people turn off the 3G on their devices when really they should be turning Data Roaming off.

So this is what I suggest you try:

Pre-iOS 7:

1. Go into Settings, tap on General, and then Cellular. There you will see 3G and you just need to ensure it says On. (Note this is only valid for iPhone 3G/3GS/4/4S as iPhone 5 will show LTE). If it persists, please move on to the next step.
  2. In Settings, tap on General again, and then on Reset. From there please select Reset Network Settings. Please note that this will ONLY erased your saved Wi-Fi networks and nothing else. You will have to reconnect to all previous Wi-Fi locations you were automatically connected to. 

iOS 7 & Later:

1. Go into Settings, tap on Cellular. There you will see 3G and you just need to ensure it says On. (Note this is only valid for iPhone 3G/3GS/4/4S as iPhone 5 will show LTE). If it persists, please move on to the next step.
  2. In Settings, tap on General again, and then on Reset. From there please select Reset Network Settings. Please note that this will ONLY erased your saved Wi-Fi networks and nothing else. You will have to reconnect to all previous Wi-Fi locations you were automatically connected to. 

Hope this answers!