cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus text promotions?

Sherpaderp
Organizer

Does anyone else get text promotions from Telus? The latest one they were offering was $25 for 6gb of data if you switched to a rate plan. After calling the number in the text, they went through confirming my name and address. Then they asked for my SIN number as part of a credit check. Which was a huge red flag.

I'm assuming it's not telus policy to ask for SIN numbers?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

That's a legit TELUS number and as long as you dialed it it's safe. Don't trust caller ID with that number as it can be spoofed.

Running a credit check is common practice. I don't know if a SIN is absolutely necessary for that or not.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

xray
Hero

What's the number in the text message that you called?

@dru or @A-B , this post should probably be moved to the Mobility forum. @Sherpaderp the Security forum is actually for the home security products/services that Telus sells. Not your fault as it can be confusing.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

The number is 1 866 448 8029

That's a legit TELUS number and as long as you dialed it it's safe. Don't trust caller ID with that number as it can be spoofed.

Running a credit check is common practice. I don't know if a SIN is absolutely necessary for that or not.

Thanks for the response. 

Just thought it was a strange request since I've been on a pre-paid plan since 2018 that I've been paying with a credit card.

Just assumed telus would already have enough information on me to make the upgrade process easy.

dru
Community Manager
Community Manager

It is a legit offer for a pre-paid to postpaid plan migration. Postpaid plans do require a credit check which requires 2 pieces of ID. A SIN may be requested but you can decline and go with one of the other options (e.g., Driver's License, Provincial ID card, passport, etc.)

Sherpaderp
Organizer

That puts my mind at ease. Spent most of the day slightly stressed thinking it was a phishing scam. I did give the rep my drivers licence number. But I got suspicious when he asked for my SIN.

I think id be more comfortable doing my plan upgrades instore.

@Sherpaderp wrote:

I think id be more comfortable doing my plan upgrades instore.

I agree, I don't like giving out any info over the phone more sensitive than my address and phone number.