We've seen your questions about SmartHome security both in our community and outside of it and wanted to officially launch the SmartHome Security board for all your questions and feedback. To kick it off, we've put together a list of our most frequently asked questions. If you have any questions or thoughts not included here, feel free to post your question to the board!
Do I need Wi-fi to use SmartHome Security?
- To use TELUS SmartHome Security products, you will need high speed internet service to support outdoor camera use and to be within the TELUS Mobility HSPA coverage area. Visit our Coverage Map to find out if you qualify.
What happens if I am outside the Coverage Map?
- If you are outside of the coverage map range or looking for a specific security feature for your home, call the TELUS Custom Security System team at 1 855-909-8277. We can assist with the following features:
- Hardwired system or hardwired smoke sensor
- Continuous video recording
- 5 or more partitions
- A specific panel other than 2GIG or Qolsys IQ2
- Alternative to wireless system because TELUS cell coverage is unavailable
What is a Z Wave?
- Z-Wave is a low power protocol, which lets devices run on batteries for years at a time while communicating relatively complicated information. However, to be able to do that it transmits at a reduced power and its signal can more easily be blocked. Without any obstructions, a single Z-Wave device's range is advertised as 100 feet in open-air.
I’m having troubles with my Z Wave products, what can I do?
- Visit Troubleshoot your Z-Wave device and SmartHub for tips and solutions.
What is Guard Response and how do I know if it is available to me?
- Guard Response is a service which sends a certified and trained guard to the customer’s home to verify whether an intrusion alarm is a true event or a false alarm. For a complete list of locations where Guard Response is available, click here.
Do I need a permit to have SmartHome Security?
- Most cities require an alarm permit. For details and to secure a permit, visit your city’s website. Some municipalities require you to have a permit in place by the time of your installation. Please reach out to your local municipality to ensure you are set up for success during the install. Once you have your permit number, please remember to contact us.
What is the TELUS SmartHomeSecurity App and how can I access it?
The TELUS SmartHome mobile app gives you total control and convenience over your TELUS SmartHome Security system. Features include:
- Check in or adjust SmartHome settings on the go
- Let in trusted people & packages when you can’t be there
- Arm and disarm your security system, and lock up automatically
- To download the App, visit the App Store or Google Play.
Am I still eligible for TELUS SmartHome Security if I have an existing contract with a different provider?
- Please contact us to understand your options. We will not pay out existing contracts, however, we have very competitive offers, which may offset any expenses you incur leaving your current provider.
What do I do when a false alarm happens?
- Our central monitoring station is committed to providing a timely response to all alarm signals. There may be instances where you are not home or not available to receive an alarm verification call from us. If we do not reach you in response to an alarm and you wish to report it as false, please call TELUS at 1-855-255-8828 and press 1.
Can I pair additional devices to my SmartHome Security system?
- Our system integrates with many other popular SmartHome products. For a complete list of compatible devices, please click here.
Who should I contact if I need additional troubleshooting support?
- TELUS SmartHome Sales, Customer Care & Technical Support: 1-855-255-8828
- Hours of operation: Monday - Friday: 7:30am - 9:00pm MST; Weekends: 8:00am - 9:00pm MST