cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Series Recordings TelusTV-21T changing from 'New & Repeat' to 'New'...

MrSL
Leader

So this is an issue I have not posted about before @A-B and have not seen anything similar on the Forum so not a re-post!

@Optik-KateYou ignored my last 3-4 tags without a reply or comment but here goes, I'll keep it as short as possible!

When changing a 'Series Recording' from 'New & Repeats' to 'New' only it appears to populate the current recordings with ALL previously aired episodes. The latest was just today (Friday 1st Mar). I realized that my Series Recording for 'Tournament of Champions' on the Food Network was set to 'New & Repeats'. I had (just) one recording I had previously seen, so as soon as I updated the options for the Series recording to 'New Episodes' only, my recordings suddenly acquired 16 Episodes - not previously there!

This isn't unique and nor channel specific either. Three screen shots for you from my recordings all with the same problem, different channels. The oldest being QI - when I changed that to 'New' I got over 80 additional episodes. Now down to 62 as they are reaching the 90 day limit and being automatically deleted.

As we still don't have an option to bulk delete, I'm just waiting for them to expire because that's 94 unwanted recordings that I will not waste my time deleting 1 by 1.

TOCTOC

QIQI

QIQI

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Optik-Kate
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @MrSL , first run vs. rerun is a known issue that the team is working on addressing. The issue is that regardless of the selection, reruns are always recorded. Hence, bulk deletion is something that's on the roadmap as well. I'll be sure to update once we're closer to a launch date. 

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Rocky3
Rockstar

Since using the option for first run only recordings I have noticed if the show is aired on multiple channels, then duplicates are recorded.

Wonder why your attachments do not display?

I set "Tournament of Champions" to record first and reruns is default and there were 5 shows set to record. I changed it to first run only and that reduced it to 2 shows set to record. Could not duplicate what you described.

Well that's interesting...

Firstly, I'm wondering if you have to have an actual episode recorded using series recording new and repeats and then change it to new only. I've always had at least one episode before I made changes.

Attachments not displayed - interesting... I think this maybe something to do with using a VPN. I wonder if Telus have made changes. Tried 4 browsers couldn't see the pics, I even deleted and re-posted the pics logged in without VPN, didn't change. But just logged in again using a VPN as I am now & I can see them 🤔

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

This is due to all images needing to be manually approved as an anti-spam filter. They should be visible now. I'm removing the rest of the replies in this thread as they are again off topic and not relevant to the original inquiry.

Good to know, no point in trying to help poor users out of hours anymore then...

wonder why my test picture of two whales was deleted and not acceptable. hmmmm

Well whales are excellent communicators, and they show high levels of emotional and social intelligence. Something you are not allowed to display here!

Jellyfish would be more appropriate. Limp with no backbone or intelligence. Just follow the ebb and flow of the tide 🤣

mw_yyc
Just Moved In

The "first and re-run" setting should be the opposite in my opinion - ie default should be FIRST RUN ONLY and then if you wish to change it to the alternate rather do that - I keep getting a "No available first episode to change recording" error message

Hi @mw_yyc , yes I agree 'First Run' would be more logical for a default choice. You can always log that suggestion under the Ideas heading. 😉

As you have probably gathered, the error message you are getting when you try to change to 'First Run' is because there is no new episodes available for that series, only repeats.

TELUS is not capable of retaining a Series Recording when set to 'First Run' when the current series comes to an end. It will be deleted which is very annoying... You will then have to try and remember when a new series starts to reset a new Series Recording.

MrSL
Leader

Another example when changing from 'New & Repeats' to 'First Run Only'. I changed this yesterday - Mar 3, 2024 to 'New Only'.

It said there were no current new episodes so I deleted the Series and had NO recordings listed.

Today I have this in my recordings list???

top gear.jpg

That is most fortunate in case you delete 2 before you watch it you still have the third one. 

Was the show on multiple times? I get that as well.

Rocky3
Rockstar

The cloud is not stable IMO. When an issue occurs they load a backup copy. You just witnessed it.

I added some series new shows and when I did not get a recording found my scheduled gone for that show, the others saved previously were still there. Therefore my guess about the cloud backup.

Optik-Kate
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @MrSL , first run vs. rerun is a known issue that the team is working on addressing. The issue is that regardless of the selection, reruns are always recorded. Hence, bulk deletion is something that's on the roadmap as well. I'll be sure to update once we're closer to a launch date. 

Hi @Optik-Kate Good to know, thanks for the reply! 😉

I did check the "Telus TV Feature Updates - Ongoing" before posting, but nothing listed there. Maybe this issue & bulk delete info should be annotated there? Might stop similar postings...

Optik-Kate
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

The ongoing feature update thread is for features that are released only. It serves as a way of communication similar to app store release notes, it is not intended to share future development roadmap. 

Also, repeated posts on the same topic from unique users is one of the metrics we use for feature prioritization, so it's not a bad thing to see repeated posts.  

Okay, noted, thanks for the info. 

Surprised it hadn't been logged before by anyone else. I first got the problem way back in December but hesitant to post these days. Suppose it was fortunate I did then...

Rocky3
Rockstar

@Optik-Kate 

Hi kate, I also post in ideas and see when @dru or @A-B changes to submitted. Perhaps a listing of submitted may help

Grimmt
Advisor

This is disturbing seeing this discussion.

My goodness, the needed behaviour for this does not need iterative development!   Are you creating a solution in isolation?

A quality BA would have reviewed what other manufacturers are doing - Bell, DirectTV, Infinity, etc.  They have implementations that fit purpose.

Your android TV development partner "3SS" looks to be creating everything from scratch.

Hi @Grimmt with you 100%!

An open admission of a know fault and defect, certainly not isolated, yet 'not acknowledged' until a user posts an issue. Makes you wonder how many other faults and shortcomings are know but not disclosed... It has been said by an employee that "TELUSTV-21T is not a cut & paste product" they are trying to re-invent the wheel!

I have said it more times than I can recall and always get roasted for it; The only people that are paying the price are the users. Not clueless, but unaware of a product release that is so far off other similar platform's functionality it should still be in development! Often not identified quick enough and then bound by a 2 yr contract.

I will be voting with my wallet, but that's still 14 months off 😞