ISP Offer IPv6 Connectivity?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

mtylerb
Neighbour

This question was asked over 2 years ago and had no eta, at that point.  http://forum.telus.com/thread/3521/category//board//

Is there a public roadmap with an ETA on the availability of IPv6 Connectivity to Telus Internet customers?  It's a bit ridiculous that we need to ask this question in 2015.  There are 3 small providers in the Montreal area that provide IPv6, but the rest of Canadians are out of luck?

Community Power User
Community Power User

It doesn't matter. The change over will happen when it's required by Telus to do so. It won't affect end users either way at this point.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
Dark_Knight
Rockstar

Why do you need access to IPv6 right now? Most websites operate a dual-stack setup, supporting IPv4 & IPv6. 

Is there a specific site you are trying to use?

iPhone power user
Dark_Knight
Rockstar

Actually, I just used their chat support Looks like they started rolling out ipv6 support in May. It will be done in phases over the next several months. You need a compatible router too. 

iPhone power user
Paeonius
Connector

Actually, it became an urgent matter to me since yesterday. I had been happily using IPv6 for some time (to access some IPv6-specific projects) using an IPv6-in-IPv4 tunnel, until a yesterday power outage in my area (a car crashed into a power box). When the power came back some 1.5h later, my IP address changed to a CG-NATed one! So I no longer have a public IP anymore and none of my IPv6 tunnel solutions work. I am screwed.

I did not know they are CG-NATing customers behind the customers' back. Today is a holiday but I am going to call Telus tomorrow and demand a public IP (as it was promised to me when I bought the service several years ago).

None of this would happen/be a problem if they offered native IPv6 connectivity. My gateway modem supports IPv6, so what is holding them back?

@Dark_Knight, do you have more info about their IPv6 roll-out schedule? If IPv6 comes too late for me and I don't get a public IPv4 address in the meantime, I may need to find a new ISP.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Demanding a public IP? They are dynamically assigned and the support people have zero control over them. Good luck with that.

What makes you so sure Carrier Grade NAT is in use? What gateway and router are you using and what IP are you seeing now?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
Most Helpful
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @mtylerb

As @Dark_Knight indicated, the roll out has already begun! 

We’ve taken a phased approach to ensure the best possible customer experience, with expected completion by early 2016. 

The short version: We started with our COs (central offices) and will work our way down to the customer level (modems). Most of our modems will be compatible, including Actiontec V1000H, V2000H, T1200H and T2200H. Once the local CO has been updated, all you need to do is make sure your modem is connected to our network, and it will receive the necessary firmware updates to enable support for IPv6.

Kolby_G
Ambassador

@psl Could you please elaborate on how Telus is rolling out IPV6? Will all end users receive a range, like a /96 or a /64? This is the standard way that most ISPs have been rolling it out. If this is not the case please explain why.

One of the main benefits of IPV6 is that every device will receive a public address without the need for NAT.

skyblaster
Friendly Neighbour

@Kolby_G What ISPs are issuing /96s? That's not at all a good routing strategy.

Even a /64 is a bit too restrictive IMHO. Luckily the default prefix Telus are issuing is a /56 ;-)

Kolby_G
Ambassador

@skyblaster I believe it was Comcast that was testing with /96's, but I could be wrong, I just saw it from someone on Facebook.

Where is it stated that Telus is issuing /56's, not saying I don't believe you but I want something to show other people.

If that is the case that would be awesome, I was hoping for either a /56 or a /48, wasn't sure if telus would actually hand out a range, or if they would give a single IP and expect people to still use NAT.

mtylerb
Neighbour

@Nighthawk & @Dark_Knight​ I'm sorry, but it does matter.  I understand it may not matter to you, but for someone who develops server applications and websites, it's very important to be able to see a website using both IPv6 and IPv4 to ensure that the entire internet is able to view your website without issues.  Like @Dark_Knight said, most websites are running a dual-stack setup, unfortunately if you cannot fix issues with IPv6 because you cannot see from IPv6 perspective, it makes troubleshooting issues difficult.  I'm currently using a tunnel and have found numerous issues thanks to the tunnel that would present a very unprofessional website to someone who was viewing from an IPv6 setup that would not be present to a person on an IPv4 setup.

@psl Thank you!  I'm so happy to hear that they are FINALLY rolling out IPv6.  :-)

@Kolby_G​ I agree, though I'm not sure a few billion addresses are required for my home network.  I would definitely prefer to have a range and not a single address with a NAT and related issues.

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @mtylerb​,

Thanks for asking! Canadians are most definitely not out of luck, particularly if they're a current or future TELUS customer. We began enabling IPv6 for large numbers of TELUS Internet subscribers beginning in July of this year, and the effort will continue until all eligible subscribers have IPv6, planned to complete in early 2016 as indicated by @psl​. Currently the main eligibility criteria is that you have an Actiontec gateway, with service on our Converged Edge network (which is the network serving the majority of our subscribers). Zyxel gateways will also receive a future update to enable IPv6. For those curious enough, you can see the results of the IPv6 enablement at TELUS on Canadian IPv6 statistics. Check out the following graph shoing that Canada was under 0.5% of users with IPv6 in June before our effort began enabling large numbers of subscribers, now leading Canada to have over 1.1% of users with IPv6 access:

http://6lab.cisco.com/stats/cible.php?country=CA&option=users

@Kolby_G​, we indeed are giving a /56 as the standard prefix delegated to TELUS Internet subscribers. By providing more than a mere /64 we are giving our subscribers the benefit of address space for subnetting of their home network as well as the potential for exciting new network protocols meant for home networks.

Kolby_G
Ambassador

@Matthew_Wilder​ Thank you for confirming that Telus will be offering /56 ranges, this is very good to hear Smiley Happy.

I am curious about what you said here "Currently the main eligibility criteria is that you have an Actiontec gateway, with service on our Converged Edge network (which is the network serving the majority of our subscribers). Zyxel gateways will also receive a future update to enable IPv6."

What about people using their own router (assuming it is IPV6 capable), I know I will never be using the router Telus provides. How will people be notified when it is available in their area? 

Also, how static will this range be, will it be a permanent address range for the account, or will it change every few days like the current IPV4 addresses?

Will the port blocks be lifted for IPV6 addresses? They were implemented back in 2004 and none of the reasons apply anymore.

Highlighted
Leif_E
Resident

I saw I had an IPv6 address yesterday, probably had it for a few weeks. I see that the Actiontec gateway gets a /56 from Telus and then uses a /64 from that for the LAN.

I have a Cisco router connected to the bridge port and wanted to see if I could get IPv6 to it. Telus uses DHCPv6 prefix delegation to assign the /56, so I configured the WAN interface to take that prefix. I used the FF/64 network for my WAN interface.

interface FastEthernet4

ipv6 address autoconfig default

ipv6 dhcp client pd dhcp-prefix rapid-commit

ipv6 address dhcp-prefix 0:0:0:FF::/64 eui-64

Now I have 00-FE to assign to create any other subnets on my router. Fantastic!

Thank you Telus!  I figured when we got IPv6 addresses we would just get a /64. Getting a /56 is great for those of use who like to set up our own networks.

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hey @Leif_E​, you're very welcome! Enjoy. Smiley Happy

Hi @Kolby_G​, great point, I see I could have been more clear and covered this (not uncommon) case. We don't have a notification system planned since the roll-out is largely invisible to our customers. What I think will work best for you is that I'll message you to help identify the network information (on our side of your service) in order to see when our edge router will be enabled on our schedule. I can certainly keep an eye if it is not yet scheduled and let you know when it is ready. Watch for a message from me! As for the "static-ness" of the IPv6 addresses, it will be very similar to what you see with IPv4 today. Some data I've just seen actually suggests that nearly 90% of subscribers will have the same IP Address from us over a month at a time. It tends to stay the same unless the router is turned off or we've been doing network upgrades. I hope this helps - and I look forward to helping you find out the timeline for the IPv6 capability of your service!

ShaunLaing
Neighbour

I have been trying to set this up "the hard way", and before I do too much more troubleshooting I wanted to find out if what I think should be happening is actually how it would happen.

I  have a linux router in between the actiontec modem and my internal clients.  If I use SLAAC the external interface of my router gets an IP and I can use IP6 from that machine.  I would like to use DHCPv6 to request a subnet delegation from the actiontec modem, however every time I try I recieve a "NoPrefixAvail" message back in the modem's DHCP advertisement.  Is what I'm doing supposed to work?  Has anyone been able to confirm this configuration?  My plan was to use the subnet returned by DHCPv6 to provision the internal clients.

My actiontec router is model V1000H, and I am using the wide-dhcpv6-client to request the subnet delegation.

Thank you.

Community Power User
Community Power User

You may be expecting too much from a residential gateway. It's not the most advanced device out there.

https://www.actiontec.com/products/faqs.php?pid=191#q20

Q. Does this device support IPv6? 

A. No this device does not support IPv6.

ShaunLaing
Neighbour

The router definitely supports IPv6 (please see the attached image), but you're right @Nighthawk​​, perhaps it doesn't support IPv6 subnet delegation. It *is* answering my DHCPv6 request, though, just with a "No subnets available" message.  I'm hoping someone from Telus can let me know...

Kolby_G
Ambassador

@ShaunLanig What exactly do you mean by "linux router". Is this an actual linux machine with routing set up? If so why are you going through the actiontec? Why not just hook your router directly to the alcatel modem (assuming you're on fiber)?

@Matthew_Wilder It will be interesting to see how a dynamic IPV6 range will work out. I can't really imagine L3 routing working very well if the interface address keeps changing, but then again I haven't really tested much with IPV6, waiting for an official rollout rather then playing with half working tunnels.

ShaunLaing
Neighbour

@Kolby_G​: It's an actual machine with routing. My actiontec is a DSL modem, so I don't think I can connect directly, but correct me if I'm wrong. I have tried setting the linux machine as the IPv6 DMZ gateway, but the actiontec still answers DHCPv6 requests that my linux box submits.