cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus Anti-Virus Software-Anyone use it? Opinions about it?

mtn
Advisor

In the past few weeks, I have noticed that my laptop response has slowed to a crawl opening programs and webpages.  The reason is obvious: the hard disk is being hammered, the laptop has no time to open webpages or programs!  Investigating the cause almost always brings up activity by the Telus Anti-Virus scanner. More often than not, there's an error message, or just simply "not responding" when I try and close it.  Is this just me or has anyone else noticed this behaviour?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
9 REPLIES 9

xray
Guardian

I use Microsoft Security Essentials on all my PC's without any issues.

It made sense for TELUS to provide free AV software back in the day when all the good AV software was not free. There's no need for it now.

mtn
Advisor

Unfortunately, my laptop runs Win8.1 and MSE is no longer compatible. I do use it on my Vista PC though.

mtn
Advisor

I had thought that Defender is just malware protection, but I was wrong. After re-reading the first link xray provided, Microsoft appears to have put AV scanning into their Defender software.  I will uninstall the Telus AV and see what happens.

Update: The performance is like night and day.  The snappiness has been restored.

Thanks to xray for their help

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Are you happy with just virus protection?  I prefer a software firewall too.  Hardware tuning is a bonus.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/norton-security-2-0-5-device-1-year/10323618.aspx

Dimo-X

I haven't used the TELUS Anti-Virus software, however have heard many good things about it. Plus, it's free! I personally use Nod32 (full disclosure, I do not endorse or get any money from them for writing this! LoL)  I feel that if security is huge for you, you would go with a company that focuses on just that. Otherwise, free is good! 🙂

Just my 2 cents. Robot wink

mtn
Advisor

I will keep Nod32 in mind in case Defender doesn't do its job!..  Looking at rankings of AV software, Microsoft scores pretty low, but recently revamped their package which offered some improvement.  As for firewalls, I use the Windows firewall and Simplewall for my Linux PC.  I have not activated the Actiontec router firewall yet because of concerns over my Roku and phones losing connectivity, but eventually I think I will move to it.

julianM
Neighbour

in my opinion their AV sucks! it never removed viruses for me it always said contact premium care

HouseCat
Connector

I don't have the Telus Security Suite installed so I couldn't say sadly, but Telus is currently in the process of changing their security suite that comes with ADSL to Norton. It hasnt launched yet, but this is the page for it.  

http://www.telus.com/en/ab/internet/premium-protection-and-support/?flowKey=none&planKey=none&servic...