cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public IP Address

shegide
Organizer

My public IP address situates me in Courtenay but I live in Vancouver. Is it normal for an IP address to be so wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes. It's not unusual. Especially if you've just gotten a new IP address. It's not uncommon to see blocks of IP addresses, especially IPv4, that are bought, sold and moved between locations. Geolocation databases are often a month if not several months out of date. That means if your new IP was previously in use in another city, province or country, those databases can take a lot of time to update. The databases with paying customers update sooner than the free databases used by most sites / companies.

The previous new IP I received was last in use in Halifax and I'm in Alberta. Most of the geolocation databases kept coming up with Halifax for probably about 5-6 months before they started updating. My current IP that I have now shows up as a few different cities depending on the database used. Most are showing the correct city in Alberta but a few are showing incorrect cities including Toronto (x3) and Vancouver (x2).

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes. It's not unusual. Especially if you've just gotten a new IP address. It's not uncommon to see blocks of IP addresses, especially IPv4, that are bought, sold and moved between locations. Geolocation databases are often a month if not several months out of date. That means if your new IP was previously in use in another city, province or country, those databases can take a lot of time to update. The databases with paying customers update sooner than the free databases used by most sites / companies.

The previous new IP I received was last in use in Halifax and I'm in Alberta. Most of the geolocation databases kept coming up with Halifax for probably about 5-6 months before they started updating. My current IP that I have now shows up as a few different cities depending on the database used. Most are showing the correct city in Alberta but a few are showing incorrect cities including Toronto (x3) and Vancouver (x2).

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Hey, thanks very much for your detailed explanation. It really puts the IP issue in perspective.