cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INTERAC transfers from other user to my phone number

Eskimo007
Just Moved In

Recently, I became aware that I could send money from my bank's website via INTERAC to a phone number as well as email addresses, which I had used often before to send and receive money.

Now I notice I can send money to a phone number, and presumably receive some too.  Someone said they sent money to my phone number, and I cant find it.  Where am I supposed to see evidence of that?  Presumably, I can then deposit it into one of my bank accounts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

xray
Hero

eTransfers to a phone number will show up as a SMS text message with a link to deposit it at your bank.

Optionally you can register your phone number and/or email address with your bank account to auto deposit. Once this is done (and verified by you) then any eTransfer sent to the registered phone number/email address will automatically be deposited to your account. You will still receive notification by you don't have to do anything else.

If you don't get the notification then either they didn't send it or they sent it to a different number/email address. Be careful of transactions with strangers (i.e. selling something) because some banks allow the sender to cancel the transaction within a short time of you triggering the deposit.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

xray
Hero

eTransfers to a phone number will show up as a SMS text message with a link to deposit it at your bank.

Optionally you can register your phone number and/or email address with your bank account to auto deposit. Once this is done (and verified by you) then any eTransfer sent to the registered phone number/email address will automatically be deposited to your account. You will still receive notification by you don't have to do anything else.

If you don't get the notification then either they didn't send it or they sent it to a different number/email address. Be careful of transactions with strangers (i.e. selling something) because some banks allow the sender to cancel the transaction within a short time of you triggering the deposit.

Excellent.  I was able to locate the SMS from a weird sender (100001) and select my bank and account to accept the deposit.  And I take your warning to heed after using this type of transaction in the future. Much obliged

xray
Hero

Make sure the link in the message goes to the secure Interac site before entering any banking info. Setting up auto deposit is more secure because you won't need to enter anything on any site. It also has the benefit of not requiring the sender to put a security question in the transaction.

With regards to the 100001 number, this info is from 
https://www.icicibank.ca/en/personal/services/interac-e-transfer/interac-e-transfer-faqs#faqaccordio...

100001 is the short code address from which all text Interac e-Transfer notifications originate. Short codes (also known as short numbers) are special telephone numbers, significantly shorter than full telephone numbers that can be used to address text messages to or from mobile phones. Short codes are designed to be easier to read and remember than normal telephone numbers. Like telephone numbers, short codes are unique to each operator at the technological level. Standard text messaging charges may apply.