cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Block was $0 now it's $5/month ?

Matt1
Organizer

Hello, I have a basic talk and text legacy plan (no data)  that I obtained through an Employee Purchase Plan through my employee association.

I signed up in December of 2011, for a 3 year contract that included a device. The contract has long since expired, but I was of the understanding that the original contract would be honoured by Telus as long as my account remained in good standing and I did not make any changes to it. 

As part of the original contract several add-ons were included for $0 / month.

These add-ons included Telus to Telus local calling, International Voice Roaming, US Roam  Ready, International Calling, Local Incoming Calls, and a Data Services Block.

Within the past year Telus started to charge for the Data Block. Last year it was $3 and this year it is now $5.

My question is whether Telus can legally make changes to the original contract ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

El-Eric

Hi @Matt1 - You've mentioned that the service agreement has long since expired so the original service agreement  was honoured. 

After your service agreement ends, you enter into a month-to-month service where terms and conditions can be changed given a 30-day notice.

I recommend speaking with the EPP team to see if they have something new that can save you the $5 or even offset the cost with a cheaper plan. 1-844-888-4440

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

El-Eric

Hi @Matt1 - You've mentioned that the service agreement has long since expired so the original service agreement  was honoured. 

After your service agreement ends, you enter into a month-to-month service where terms and conditions can be changed given a 30-day notice.

I recommend speaking with the EPP team to see if they have something new that can save you the $5 or even offset the cost with a cheaper plan. 1-844-888-4440

Thank you for your explanation,

If I was to cancel the $5 monthly Data Block, but then disabled the data on my account myself online, would this accomplish the same data block ? I have read that the self serve block resets at the start of each new billing cycle, and I would therefore need to be vigilant in turning data off so as not to incur any data charges. 

I understand that your data block is the same as ours. If you can't achieve a free data block you can also use your phone's settings to disable data altogether. It's not as reliable as the one we use to stop the usage from our network but I always like having options