cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound quality on Optic TV

tefoxcroft
Neighbour

I have had Optic TV and other services from Telus for over 3 years. Overal I am happy with the service. One item in particular that bothers me is the sound quality on all channels including the pay per veiw or on demand movies. I have a high end sound system and Optic TV sound really sucks. If you try to compair it with a bluray player there is huge difference. Compression technology is part of the problem but that can be cleared up. Picture quality is good but is only at 1080i. Some of the internet pay sites are even worse but there is one that has proven itself many times over and that is Xbox movies. They are a little more expensive but worth the price as the picture quality is 1080p and the sound is true 5.1 digital. How about it Telus, when are you going to provide good quality sound and 1080p picture quality to us movie buffs?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

I guess I am asking for too much, probably due to the costs involved. Xbox has some free TV programs which are broadcast later on the regular TV channels. I have seen the odd one that is in 1080p and the sound quality is phenominal.

I do have one beef with Optic TV. Movie Central on demand movies are broadcast in Dolby Pro-logic yet Hollywood Suite is broadcast in Dolby 5.1. I pay $6/month for Hollywood Suite and I pay $20/month for Movie Central. What gives? You would think that Movie Central would give you premium sound because you pay more for it.

There is another problem with METV (KVOS 141) The sound volume on this channel is more than 20db lower than most other channels. If I forget to turn the volume down when I change to another channel I get blasted out of my livingroom. This has been a problem since day one. You would think they would have fixed this issue by now.

View solution in original post

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Movie Central obviously charges Telus more than does Hollywood Suite. If Movie Central only provides Pro-Logic sound, it would be really difficult for Telus to upgrade that to 5.1.  The packages Telus purchases for rebroadcast do not all come at the same price, or quality. Major Sports events or channels charge a great premium to the rebroadcaster over the Shopping Channel, or HGTV. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

TV itself isn't even broadcast in 1080p yet. Blurays will be better by default because of the large amount of data the discs hold. Xbox Movies are likely higher bitrate, different codec and audio coded for 5.1. The audio channels on TV are the broadcasters domain. Not Telus. If you can get the broadcasters and content creators to allow that, be my guest. That would benefit all of us.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I guess I am asking for too much, probably due to the costs involved. Xbox has some free TV programs which are broadcast later on the regular TV channels. I have seen the odd one that is in 1080p and the sound quality is phenominal.

I do have one beef with Optic TV. Movie Central on demand movies are broadcast in Dolby Pro-logic yet Hollywood Suite is broadcast in Dolby 5.1. I pay $6/month for Hollywood Suite and I pay $20/month for Movie Central. What gives? You would think that Movie Central would give you premium sound because you pay more for it.

There is another problem with METV (KVOS 141) The sound volume on this channel is more than 20db lower than most other channels. If I forget to turn the volume down when I change to another channel I get blasted out of my livingroom. This has been a problem since day one. You would think they would have fixed this issue by now.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Movie Central obviously charges Telus more than does Hollywood Suite. If Movie Central only provides Pro-Logic sound, it would be really difficult for Telus to upgrade that to 5.1.  The packages Telus purchases for rebroadcast do not all come at the same price, or quality. Major Sports events or channels charge a great premium to the rebroadcaster over the Shopping Channel, or HGTV. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"