Optik 4K issues with Sony Bravia 4K TVs

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Connector
I started my PVR this morning and got the new firmware. It's all good with my 4K on my Sony.
Highlighted
Resident

I have a XBR850C and will not load 4k at all reverts back to720p my original setting?? Also only 4k@ 60Hz is displayed as an option...

Highlighted
Neighbour

I have a Sony (55X900A) and I have 4K set top box (VIP5662W) sw version 3.1.33566.453 and things have gotten worse with the new sw update.  I no longer have the choice of 4k @ 24Hz.  Now that that has disappeared as a choice, I am left with only 4K @ 60 hz that does not work at all, and 1080p which works, but that is not the quality I am paying for.

Is there any way to get 24Hz as a choice until they figure out the bug with 60Hz?

Thanks all

Highlighted
Rockstar
Mine works just fine on 60 Hertz.
Highlighted
Resident
I have the same problem. My Sony Bravia XBR 55 850A was working fine on 4k until this update. Now I got no picture only sound. I had to revert back to 1080p
Highlighted
Neighbour

Is the hue problem (magenta image) with Sony XBR displays now resolved?

Highlighted
Resident
Any luck with a fix? I have the same problem
Highlighted
Neighbour

The last firmware upgrade did not solve this? I am picking up a TV this week and the XBR750D is my preferred set but I need to know that there are no hue issues.

Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour
it did fix mine. i have an XBR850C.

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile
Highlighted
Neighbour

So here is what I have discovered at least as far as my 4K model Sony (KDL-55x900A).  Model years 2013-2015 have the capability of only 4K at 24Hz.  The new firmware upgrade has removed this aspect ratio as an option, leaving only 4K at 60hz.  This is a format that is incompatible with this model tv as a handshake will never occur because of the higher demand for refresh.  

My hope is that TELUS returns the option for 4K @ 24 Hz to the aspect ratio menu selection as this would appear to be the only "fix" for my particular issue.  It may not be ideal, but it is the only way to get the 4K for may to Sony pioneers (those that bought early models).

Please TELUS... re add the 4K @ 24Hz option to the aspect ratio for the "pioneers"

Thanks.

Highlighted
Neighbour

3840x2160/24p 3840x2160/25p 3840x2160/30p 4096x2160/24p 1080/24p (HDMI only) 1080/60i 1080/60p(HDMI /

Unless the aspect ratio of the box is given one of these options... I think we are out of luck 😞

Highlighted
Connector
Just had a tech install a 4k box at my place yesterday for the world Junior gold medal game. Couldn't get it to work on my Sony XBR930D.
Highlighted
Connector
Turns out it was just my receiver. Not compatible with 4K.
Highlighted
Connector

I should also mention the HDMI cables that telus provided were not compatible with 4k. You'd think these guys would know this stuff? I'll assume the tech at my house was the new guy.

Highlighted
Connector

Hello, I seem to be having a 4K issue with my Sony XBR-65X850C.

The issue is, 4K looks exactly the same as HD :-((

I am using my own High Speed HDMI cables.

I have enabled Enhanced HDMI Signal Format on my TV's settings.

I have enabled 3840x2160p 4K @ 60hz on my Telus 4k receiver. (My TV confirms the signal display is 4K)

I have Optik 150/150 internet.

I have recorded various sport broadcasts on SportsNet and/or TSN 4K channels (NBA, NHL, World Junior Hockey etc.) and they all have looked identical to the regular HD broadcast.

Even when watching live TV and switching back and forth between the same program being shown on the 4K channel and regular HD channel there is absolutely ZERO difference in the picture quality.

I bought a 4K TV and Optik 4K PVR but feel like I'm getting jipped...

What am I missing? 

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

There is exceedingly little being broadcast in 4K, as discussed in other topics in the Neighbourhood. If I recall, a few Toronto Home Games and a few other games.  You are likely seeing HD broadcasts being used to fill the airtime.

@vishwa may have more info on the 4K experience.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Ambassador

Unfortunately, not.  I had paired a 28" 4K monitor(Samsung 28U590) with the 4K receiver.  At the time there wasn't any 4K Channel except Ch 26.  Then there was a firmware upgrade and I lost the ability to use the monitor(it only supports either 24 or 30Hz @ 2160p).  There now is a Love Nature(ch 714) which has some really nice content but my monitor doesn't support 2160p@60Hz with HDMI inputs(it does on the displayport).  

Highlighted
Coach

What about a 4K60HDMI to display port adapter?  Startech makes one that I've used before in the past.  It worked well.

Highlighted
Ambassador

Everyone of those I looked at support only one way: Displayport output to HDMI input.  I want it the other way.  I tried a C2G hdmi to displayport cable and it doesn't show anything on the display.  

Highlighted
Coach

Ahhh, I get it.  You want the HDMI signal to be converted to 2160p/60 to go to display port input.  

Still it sounds like your monitor IF it can do 2160P/60 over DP and not HDMI sounds wrong.  It's likely that you are still possibly using a HDMI 1.4 cable that is not capable of HDCP 2.0.  Remember that the cable has to fully support HDMI 2.0 which is a 18Gbps cable.  I had one cable that was HDMI 1.4 capable of working on 2160P/30 but not 2160P/60.  Once I replaced the cable with a newer one that was rated for 18Gbps, I got my full capability.  I used to think HDMI cables were all the same, but my older ones cannot handle the throughput.

Amazon makes some cheap 18Gbps cables that work quite well.  Always choose the shortest cable that will reach.  Yes it does make a difference.  Like I said, I had an older cable that was working, so I dismissed the importance of the cables.  In a 4K UHD world, the cables are super important again.

Highlighted
Coach

Sorry, I just looked your monitor up, and it states on the website that they updated the HDMI port to support UHD.  There might be a firmware update for that monitor, but the cable stuff I mentioned still stands.