Not valued as a customer.

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Most Helpful
dobes
Coach

Yes, there are. When you buy your phone, first of all, you can choose a monthly plan so that there's no penalty if you find a better plan with another provider - you can switch any time. Second, most providers give you about 10% off your plan for bringing your own phone. I have a plan now with 400 minutes, unlimited international text, unlimited evenings and weekends from 5 and 400 MB data for $35.10/month. Since contract plans for my iPhone 5C start at around $70 a month, and another $35/month x 24 months is $840, which is $150 more than I spent for the phone, including tax, I did save money by doing it this way. More importantly, I have the freedom to change to the lowest-price plan anytime I want - I'm not locked in to anything. 

Most Helpful
tsizzle
Ambassador

Telus offer discounts when you buy your own device, 10% off any Lite or Voice plan or a $20 cheaper SharePlus plan (55 --> 35) for the voice & text portion.

Most Helpful
dobes
Coach

I don't understand why you seem angry about people looking for the least expensive way to have the phone service they want - and coming to the conclusion that Telus isn't competitive in the market. As to your point -- of course my grocery store rewards my loyalty, in the form of a points card. I can hardly wait to pick up my free tenderloin for Christmas dinner! :-)  And if you think Apple doesn't reward loyalty, then you haven't had enough Apple products. In 2006, I bought a first edition white macbook. In 2010, when it was one year out of warranty, the case cracked. Apple replaced it for free while I waited. The next year, the fan went, and, again, Apple replaced a five-year-old computer's fan for free, while I waited. In each case, the "genius" looked up my record, saw that I had been buying Apple products for a long time, and treated me accordingly.

It's good business to retain customers even while trying to attract new ones. And it's good business to offer deals comparable to competitors'. This thread only complains that Telus does neither.  

Most Helpful
papa63
Connector
Just your normal response dobes from Telus Again don't care take it or leave it mentality
tsizzle
Ambassador

What deal do Telus not have? You haven't mentioned one yet that they don't offer.

HowLoyalisThat
Neighbour
Tsizzle has suggested that the iPhone 5c 16g is a $700 phone. Which it's not. He/she also suggests that the $79 price for the phone is a good deal. I'm suggesting that anyone off the street can get the $79 deal from a variety of providers not just Telus. I simply want something more for my decades of loyalty. Why does he/she have difficulty with that? Maybe he/she is actually a forum moderator?
papa63
Connector
That's all they have to respond to you. Big joke worth a laugh anyway.
RP
Neighbour

I have been a Telus customer since around 1995 and just went to BELL as I got the Nexus 5 for $98.00 which is the same as you,  but got $100 bonus, case and a car charger with the Lite plan for $55 instead of the $60 you charge for the same thing. Telus does not offer anything close and I should not have to do the leg work then try to talk to someone there to see if they can match it.I had spent 1/2 hour one day and 20 minutes another and still couldn't get to talk to any one, there is no customer service any more and Telus won't give an offer in an email unless you talk to them first.  If some reason I should go over my minutes Bell will automatically add an extra minutes plan to cover it instead of charging by the minute and tripling the monthly plan cost.  I looked at my bill again even with the added minutes plan I put on it was still not acceptable to me that you would charge by the minute and not offer some sort of notice or automatic coverage to cover minutes that  are gone over. Factoring this and the fact I would have to spend hours on the phone to try to talk to anyone to try and at least match my plan was enough for me. As far as reception and lost calls I have no complaints. 

papa63
Connector

someone_9e9
Ambassador
Went to koodo saving money and getting more data too good service right now no more contracts or whatever for me i got 10% off
someone_9e9
Ambassador
Got rid of telus mobility they are horrible expensive ..were paying exzactly what we did back in 2007 except diff features etc ...goodbye telus and there is no such thing as nice people there
papa63
Connector
That's fine that you got a good deal with koodo. You do know Telus owns Koodo. Doesn't make sense Telus is high and koodo is lower. Either way they get ya.
papa63
Connector
Exactly that's the problem everything is ridiculously expensive and just gets worse. Getting unaffordable to own a phone . So we just go to the company that gouges us the least
hellochuman
Advisor

If you have a cheaper plan less than $45 (mine is $43.35 after the 10% discount and taxes), I've calculated that you would save several hundreds of dollars, depending on what phone you have.  I created an excel spreadsheet with a list of phones under different scenarios.  If anyone needs that let me know.  All you would need to enter is the current price of the subsidized phone and your current plan.  Using the minimum plan, seems to be $75 now, there is a significant savings.

hellochuman
Advisor

Should have mentioned that compared to buying the phone outright.

Rich_ng
Resident
Been with them for well over a decade since Clearnet launched. House always wins. Telus reps blame regulations for not being able to offer subsidized iphone 5s at 3 year terms. Only 2 years at min $70 with new plan commitment. No exception.

Early upgrade fee was $15 x months left in contract, but now under a 2 year term, premium phone plans need a minimum $70 plan. So for that one year contract deduction, Telus still wins. Essentially, they want an extra $20 a month from my current plan for less features and benefits.

Funny enough, my plan was even cheaper before for similarly the same but they had no option to add iPhone visual voice mail to the plan as it was not an iPhone plan (or so they say), so I had to switch to a more modern plan.

I've been month-to-month since October. Waiting for some changes or a competitor with a better plan as Telus no longer cares about retention. Seems many others have the same issues over at Redflags. 435 pages worth to be exact: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merged-telus-retention-plan-617794

germocide
Resident

My Telus contract was about to expire so I went to see about renewing and getting a new phone. What I discovered was that I needed to be on a minimum of $70 plan to get the phone that I wanted. Telus would not budge with the new 2 year plan prices. That adds up to over $500 more than what I was currently paying over two years. Anyway I decided to shop around and found a way to get the phone I wanted with Rogers on a 3 year plan at $50/month. I then ported my phone number over 2 days after my renewal date and Telus said they had to charge me for an entire month since I missed the billing cycle date. I sure found out where I stood as a customer...

Community Power User
Community Power User
germocide, you found a wireless supplier prepared to offer a 3 year contract in the past 6 months? Astounding, as they all have been offering terms to meet the CRTC June 2016 requirements.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Canmore
Resident

Same experience.  Telus has terrible customer service.  Sure, the representatives are nice enough, but the company wants to take you for as much as they can.  No flexibility at all, and no real loyalty program for their long time customers.  Example in point, I had some issues with my bill so I called up, they told me I had to cancel my existing plan, and start a new plan that costs more and gives me less.  Thank telus, I really appreicate that.  I pay more, get less, and this was less than one year into my current contract.  Also the actual service has been terrible the last few years.  Numerous days of dropped calls and irregular cell phone reception.  I regret not going with another carrier, and one more issue and I am done!  I will gladly pay any penalty not to have to deal with this anti customer attitude they have.  No wonder I do not have a telus home phone or telus TV.  If mobility is this bad, why would I bother with any other products.  My advise to anyone else is not to go with telus. 

wally_west
Ambassador

I'm happy with Telus since day 1 and i understand that they can't keep everyone happy. Customers do not have loyalty anymore so why should the provider have any?