How do you Bridge the Actiontech Router so i can hook my Airport Extreme to it

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

billmk
Connector

Want to hook up my Airport extreme and use it as a router.Need to put the Actiontec into bridge mode so they are not both trying to aquire an IP

rc
Ambassador

You should let the actiontec serve up IP address.   You want to set the Airport extreme up as what is normally referred to as an access point (AP), which I believe in the case of an airport extreme is referred to as bridge mode.   The apple support forums include information on how to do this.

You do not have to make any changes to the actionec, expect turn of wifi, if you only want the airport to be your only wifi device.

Most Helpful
billmk
Connector

I tryed that didnt work.Internet would keep stalling.I need to make the actiontech a modem only by bridging it.This way the extreme would serve up the IP.Of course it would be really easy if telus would just offer a modem only solution.

Most Helpful
rc
Ambassador

I have an actiontec and a Linksys.   The linksys provides my wifi and the actiontec is the dhcp server.    The linksys was set up as an AP according to the instructions in the linksys documentation and it works as it it should.   Also set up  the same configuration with a friends actiontec and a tplink router and it also works as it should.  I disabled wifi on the actiontec.

Not sure what to recommend.

Most Helpful
billmk
Connector

If Telus wasn't giving me such a good deal i would switch to shaw.I also read i could DMZ one of my lan ports and connect the Extreme to that.I just wish Telus would turn the Actiontec to a router only,it is Possible but they wont do it and pretend like they dont know how to.I found a ADSL modem at a local Comp shop or buy a used one off Craigslist.All i really want is a functioning USB port for a Hard Drive and Printer.There is one on the Actiontec but Telus dissabled it(one less thing for them to troubleshoot i guess).

Most Helpful
rc
Ambassador

Is the Actiontec connected to the WAN ethernet port on the Actiontec?   If connected to a regular LAN port there can be problems with internet stalling.

You may want to consider a configuration of "nested routers".   In this case the actiontec is functioning as a router and airport is also functioning as a router.  In this configuration devices connected to the airport can connect to devices connected to the actiontec but the devices on the actiontec cannot connect to the airport.  This should be relatively easy configuration to set up. Connected the  wan port on the Airport to the actiontec.   Reset the airport.

Most Helpful
billmk
Connector

The Extreme was connected to Lan on the actiontec and Wan on the extreme.This is how i was instructed to do it then Airport utility informed me of a double NAT and suggested i put airport in Bridge mode which i did.Then i could not get a consitent connection.I read the WAN port on the actiontec is strictly to connect it to a network that has internet already.DmZing the lan Port on the Actiontec is supposed to Bypass the firewall on the Actiontech and then you activate the firewall on the Extreme.This is a Bandaid approach as all iwant to do is make the internet signal transparent through actiontech and allow the Extreme to handle the NAT and Firewall.Bridging the actiontech would do this.Or aquire a modem only solution.

Most Helpful
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

A supplemental router / extender / access point should be conneted to Ethernet Port 1-4, not into the WAN port. Let the Actiontec handle NAT, bridge your AirPort Extreme, disable wireless on your Actiontec to let the APE handle Wi-Fi. Not sure what issues you're having with your connection, but I have this exact setup running without issue for months now. Nothing technically wrong with it.

I would highly recommend against obtaining your own grey market modem. First, note that TELUS uses VDSL2 not ADSL in nearly all areas for internet. Also, depending on your speed plan, you may be on a different variant of VDSL2 profile (you can read more about that on Wikipedia). Not all grey market VDSL2 modems will support all profile variants. Further, they are generally not guaranteed to be compatible with the TELUS network. Caveat Emptor, and I would not personally go down that route.

Most Helpful
billmk
Connector

The lan port on the actiontech is the ethernet.You can bridge the actiontech so the signal runs transparent through the actiontec and let the airport handle everything.I had it set the other day but forgot to dissable the NAT so still wasnt working.

CanadianThomas
Friendly Neighbour

check this link: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/telus-internet-using-your-own-router-putting-v1000h-into-bridge-mode-...

Explains it. Some routers wont have a multicast setting that will work for the optik tv box. My apple airport extreme is one, its has a multi cast setting but only for low medium and high rates. thats not enough. So i have the optik box plugged into their modem, and my router in to it as well. Each box gets an external ip from telus and all is well. I use my equipment for my network and use theirs for net access and for the tv.

also not mentioned in the link, i found a setting in the telus vt box to turn of dhcp. DO THAT!