Hockey Night In Canada in 4K

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

dynamixgraphix
Resident

With Rogers announcing they will be televising HNIC in 4K next weekend I can't help but feeling left out. Any plans for a Telus 4K box soon?

Community Power User
Community Power User

Rogers 4K is only available to Rogers cable customers in a very small specific geographical region in Ontario. The 4K box has no PVR either so don't plan to record anything in 4K. 4K content is also extremely limited too. For sports, it'll only be events in Toronto. They don't have the large amount of very expensive hardware or very high speed fiber connections in place anywhere else to be able to broadcast, encode, and live stream 4K. They don't say what the minimum TV or internet package required to get 4K is either. They were pushing the gigabit internet one at one point that is $150/mo for internet alone. The 4K Hardware rental fee is $12.95/mo.

As for Telus, this was discussed before here relatively recently. The majority of providers will not be rolling out 4k any time soon. The content just isn't there and the infrastructure to deliver it will cost a lot of money to put in place. Whenever Telus does finally offer 4K, it will only be available to users on fiber optic lines because of the bandwidth requirements. (one 4K stream is about 25mbps compared to 5mbps for HD).

4K TVs are still young. You are better off waiting for a couple more years before even buying one. Most currently only have one HDMI 2.0 port on them and that is a requirement for 4K. If you have a UHD/4k BluRay player you'd need a second HDMI 2.0 port or a newer 4K TV. You'll also need HDMI 2.0 cables as well. The old ones won't work.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
Exhile
Ambassador

Bell Ontario just broadcast their first ever 4k sporting event between the Toronto Raptors and the Boston Celtics on January 20th. The 4k set-top box comes with a PVR and it costs $600 to buy it. Since Telus and Bell both use twisted pair in their networks, Telus should be planning their 4k rollout soon.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Bell uses fiber in their network also. Twisted pair copper connections, if used, will have to be able to support the bandwidth of both the 4K TV and the internet package. Extremely few will be capable of that. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
kcedmonton
Resident

Our newer area in Edmonton is all fiber optik, would be nice if Telus could keep up with the technology but since they can't even offer a reasonable spanish network package in comparison to other providers I wouldnt hold my breath.

Highlighted
Exhile
Ambassador

Shaw and Telus are both probably gonna introduce 4k at the same time just as how Rogers Gigabit and Bell Fibe TV are doing. Ottawa has been added to show 4k Senators home games on TSN 4k. Here is a list of home games that will be broadcast in 4k. http://www.tsn.ca/tsn-4k-has-arrived-1.425916 Hopefully by the 2016-17 NHL season, the Canucks, the Oilers, and the Flames will have their cameras upgraded to 4k in their respective arenas. I don't care too much about seeing the Lions, Eskimos or Stampeders in 4k.

broadcastguy
Coach

Yes, all fibre in my area too.  Too bad TELUS can't even give me my subscribed Internet 100 speeds because they have oversubscribed the fibre splitter... good luck transporting 4K streams if they can't even reach their internet tier speeds...

Exhile
Ambassador

Looks like Videotron of Montreal, Quebec is providing their customers with live 4k sporting events. Here's the news link: http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/sports-in-uhd---videotron-will-carry-live-programming-in-4k-567...