Has anyone noticed their 4K PVR slow when skipping ahead or back lately?

rainforester
Connector

That's good news! Thanks for the confirmation and for the notice that a fix is forthcoming. Having a clear answer on an issue like this makes such a difference. Cheers!

Just_LH
Coach

Thanks for the update.

I don't know if there was an update on this box, staring to think the problem is on the server side. This box if so dependent on the internet and the server, it makes no difference that what I am watching is here on this device.

The reason I am saying this is because I don't think there was an update in the last few days, yet the changes are obvious. Yesterday even the FF was very slow. 2 sec. delay after pressing play. But today is back to before. Usable (I never complained about FF)

I wonder if we ever get the skip ability back......

Just_LH
Coach

.... and today FF is back to the 2 sec delay.  I give up.

vishwa
Ambassador

Just wondering if there is anyone here on this thread with a Technicolor UIW8001 PVR? Or is everyone using the Arris VIP5662? 

DeanD
Connector

vishwa wrote:

Just wondering if there is anyone here on this thread with a Technicolor UIW8001 PVR? Or is everyone using the Arris VIP5662? 

Arris VIP5662W for me here.

DeanD
Connector

vishwa wrote:

@Scoto: Thank you very much for the update.  It gives a good feeling that Telus knows about the issue and a fix is on the way.  On this occasion, may I ask if the HDCP error when the signal goes through a modern AVR is also being addressed, at some point?

I know this doesn't help you much Vishwa, but I've not had any issues with HDCP to my AVR, which is an Onkyo.  My Onkyo then connects to my LG 4K OLED.  I did have to get new HDMI cables that were certified for 18Gbps, as my older cables were not capable of working well at 4K speeds.  It shocked me that digital cables would have issues, but replacing them with the shortest, highest rated cables made all the difference.  Before I did that, I had lots of issues.

Telusgrom
Connector

Yes thanks for the update Scoto, nice to know a fix is on the way. Before this issue I have been quite happy with the 4k box.

vishwa
Ambassador

@DeanD: Glad to see a better cable solved your problem.  However, cable isn't my issue.  The way HDCP components are supposed to work is to hand-shake all the components in the chain and determine the lowest level and reduce itself to that level. Something like this:

HDCP 2.2 PVR---> HDCP 2.2 AVR ---> 4K TV ---> 4K picture

HDCP 2.2 PVR --->non HDCP2.2 AVR ...> 4K TV ---> no 4K picture(restricted to 1080p

HDCP 2.2 PVR --->HDCP 2.2 AVR ---> 1080p TV ---> 1080p picture

HDCP 2.2 PVR --->non HDCP 2.2 AVR --->1080p TV ---> 1080p picture.

Just to be clear, my current situation is scenario 3 above.  And, since the first install in July 2016 it worked well for several months until one firmware update.  Then I started seeing the HDCP 2.2 error. I also tried scenario 4 by changing the Denon x3200 with Onkyo TXNR 818(non HDCP 2.2) and it works.  Initially, I thought it was limited to modern Denon receivers.  However, from the responses here it became clear that it affected most modern receivers such as Pioneer and Sony. Basically, the PVR isn't negotiating the handshake through out the chain and as soon as it sees a HDCP 2.2 receiver it stops looking further and sets itself at that level and fails to show picture on a 1080p tv.  It bears to repeat here that the exact setup worked for about 5 months(July-October 2016).

This issue is for those who have modern HDCP 2.2 receivers and older 1080p(non HDCP 2.2) televisions.  Cable problems will be obvious from the get go.  It will not appear after months of working right.

Just to recap the evolution of 4K PVR, when I got it initially I could connect it via Denon AVR X3200 to my 1080p TV using HDMI.  I could also connect the 4K PVR to my 4K 28 inch Samsung Monitor using HDMI with a refresh rate of 24 or 30 Hz at 4K resolution.  With the latter connection, I could turn off the PVR and the monitor would go to power save mode.

After a couple of firmware updates, I lost the ability to use Denon AVR with HDMI, 24 Hz and 30 Hz at 4K resolution options were gone(Samsung monitor supports only those two with HDMI), powering off the PVR would not cut the video circuit any more.  The latest is the delayed response to skip and replay commands.

Just to be clear, I have all three services with Telus and I have been overall happy with the service.  They have treated me well.

Telusgrom
Connector

Hi Scoto, any updates on this issue? It does make the whole experience underwhelming when we were used to the speedy response the Pvr once had.

Hi there, @Telusgrom.

I did a little digging this morning and didn't come up with much, I'm afraid. It's still well on the radar and will, in all likelihood, be a part of the next release but I'm afraid I can't share the timeline on that, right now. Sorry I can't be more firm on that.

Just_LH
Coach

I would be surprised. Most likely Telus waiting for us to forget how it was.

This thread was marked "solved" too.

Telusgrom
Connector

Hi Scoto, 

Just wondering if you have heard anything on yhis issue lately? Its just kind of sad that the 4k pvr hardware is being handcuffed so it doesng perform to its full potential. 🤐

vishwa
Ambassador

It really is a shame that such a powerful box is held hostage to bad code.  I don't see it happening soon.  We will be lucky if it happens.  Wait and see.

rainforester
Connector

Still waiting on the fix! Does anyone have updates regarding this issue?

Community Power User
Community Power User
No timeline for an update to the software. It should be corrected next release.
But sometimes they’re 2-4 months away or longer. Have to just be patient.
Just_LH
Coach

but getting worse in the mean time as I wrote the other day and today.

HintonEast
Resident

I am using the UIW8001.  It is beside my computer, plugged into my second 4k screen. In case I want to watch news. The other Telus box is connected to my LG TV.

Bula
Resident

Hi,

I recently got a new technicolor UIW8001 4k Pvr and was wanting to know in comparsion with the Arris 4k pVR  is Technicolor running  any better or any difference with Picture Quality.

I have noticed it outputs 4K @ 30HZ

Telusgrom
Connector

Any news on the software update? It seems this has been forgotten.

Telusgrom
Connector

Hi Scoto, any news on this? Its been 10 months now and I havent forgotten how good it was before that software upgrade ended up downgrading the experience.