cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is there not 3D programs on optic when it is available on telus satellite?

Kayakgirl
Friendly Neighbour

3D is now available so let's get movies and sports available 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

There aren't any broadcasters left for 3D in North America. There's a few overseas but very few and are isolated to a small number of Cable / Satellite providers. All providers here moved all the 3D content to VOD. The reason was primarily lack of interest / demand for 3D.

One other likely factor is that Sony stopped sponsoring 3D sporting events back in 2013, and dedicated it's resources to doing 4K. That hurt a lot of 3D broadcasters and most closed down not long after that. A few managed to last a bit longer but ultimately the demand was so low they shut down.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

3D has such little demand and such little content available that it's rarely offered. The most common place any provider has 3D is in the On Demand section and even then it's not a large list of titles. The satellite is also a different provider.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Kayakgirl
Friendly Neighbour
Satellite is provided by Telus

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus rebrands Bell's satellite offering. They do not offer an independent service.

If you search the video on demand section on Optik using the term "3D" you will find the 3D offerings. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Love 3D!  Sad there is so little content.  $7 on demand 3D is so affordable and convenient compared to BluRay 3D.

-push On demand

-Movies

-3D movies.... at this time I see there are 45 items listed (including Avengers Age of Ultron & Mad Max)

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

"-push On demand

-Movies

-3D movies.... at this time I see there are 45 items listed (including Avengers Age of Ultron & Mad Max)"

I somehow skimmed past the 3D movies selection when I looked!  Thanks for the step-by-step instructions, @xl

NFtoBC

Kayakgirl
Friendly Neighbour
Ty I saw that but what about live 3 D football, basketball, hockey, etc.
Sent from my Sony Xperia™ smartphone

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

An internet search for the term 3D sports broadcasts returns a number of results from 2010 - 2011 when it was the 'new' thing. Even ESPN has dropped their offering. As @Nighthawk indicates, it appears the low demand led to its demise. 

NFtoBC

Kayakgirl
Friendly Neighbour
Everything new starts with a low DE.a D. There is no reason for telus not to carry a 3D channel!

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Has nothing to do with Telus. 3D isn't new and there simply is no content for it outside of VOD. Most content creators avoided it, likely due to the increased production costs and hardware issues. There are 4 types also of 3D content that can be created. I don't know if the same hardware can be used for each.

All but one of the 3D content channels in the USA have ceased operations. There haven't been any Canadian channels offering dedicated 3D content. 

Kayakgirl
Friendly Neighbour
OK if Telus wants to live in the dark world, so be it. Please understand that as the technology developed, we will follow it. Your loss, our gain!

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

@Nighthawk:  To clarify... Which USA 3D TV station continues to operate?

@Kayakgirl:  What 3D station is offered on satellite?

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

3d is a gimmick which will never be mainstream at home for regular television broadcasts. If you bought a 3D TV for that you were duped! Besides some 3D movies that get released and a few on shows nothing much will ever become of it. The market already decided 3D at home is dead.

Sorry, you do not know what you are talking about.

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Well after 6 years how many networks do you see broadcasting in 3D. Sorry but I do know what I am talking about.

We have had 3D for 5 years and many, many folks have bought it after seeing movies at our house. We had Telus Satellite for the last 4 years (before the upgrade was avaliable) and watched movies and sports in 3D. So, why now, with the upgrade, do we go backwards, and loose 3D?

WE LIKE THE 3D. Have you ever tried it in a home system with quality glasses? If not, please refrain from comments!

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

I'm another 3D lover.... Optik's $7 is a great deal.  When you visit a Blu-Ray retailer... someone is paying for those $40 BluRay 3D packages... otherwise they would not be sold.

With regards to broadcasters... hope they are not showing the same thing over and over again.

I'm hoping 3D may be like the selfie sticks.  Selfie sticks very popular today... but they were a huge bomb 7 years ago when there was no iPhone adapter.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KkCnwH5RFs

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

There aren't any broadcasters left for 3D in North America. There's a few overseas but very few and are isolated to a small number of Cable / Satellite providers. All providers here moved all the 3D content to VOD. The reason was primarily lack of interest / demand for 3D.

One other likely factor is that Sony stopped sponsoring 3D sporting events back in 2013, and dedicated it's resources to doing 4K. That hurt a lot of 3D broadcasters and most closed down not long after that. A few managed to last a bit longer but ultimately the demand was so low they shut down.

Kayakgirl
Friendly Neighbour
OK, thanks, that is the best expansion!