New internet hardware?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Ambassador

Wondering if we have any hope of seeing an 802.11AC modem with MIMO support in the near future? The WiFi Plus is not the best solution I've used and it would be nice to have 5Ghz broadcast in my home. I will likely end up buying my own router, but it would be nice to have better hardware as part of our service.

Highlighted
Rockstar

I'm sure we will see one very soon. Rumour is Shaw has one coming out this summer. I would expect telus to be ready at the same time.

Even if they release one, you are still probably better off buying your own. You can setup your own using these instructions: http://forum.telus.com/articles/52181/home/bridge-mode---using-your-own-router

Hope that helps. 

iPhone power user
Highlighted
Ambassador

Thanks @Dark_Knight​. Shaw already is offering a more modern device, and it looks like Bell Alliant is for their Fibre service (http://www.bellaliant.net/fibreop-internet/wi-fi-modem). Like I said, I'll likely buy my own, but it would be nice to have solid hardware from the service provider.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus' hardware is designed for use by the vast majority of users. As a result, more experienced/power users are left stuck unless they use their own router (better solution). ISP provided hardware is not designed to be a gaming or high performance router etc because of the costs of the hardware. Eventually yes, they will update but likely soon considering the internet speed available is less than 802.11n.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Ambassador

Oh, I get that, but it seems that this is more of a standard technology now. I look at it from the perspective of being someone who needs to use Citrix to work remotely and watching video on wireless devices. So many devices are wifi-based that it seems Telus should provide more of this support out of the box.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Well since those wireless devices will still work with 802.11n, and 'n' is faster than the internet connection itself, there is no urgent need to upgrade the hardware past that point. That's likely the reason Telus gave users the ability to bridge the new gateways to connect whatever router they want.

Plus 802.11AC isn't the common standard yet. It's still in its infancy. 802.11n is well established and basically the current wireless standard.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂