How do I boost 2.4 and 5 GHz performance?

Zman2k2
Ambassador
I have a T3200M modem/router, and it`s at one end of the house, 60ft. from where we use our wireless devices. I had it installed in the office for convenience. Problem is that when it's the high traffic times for internet around here, speeds go down. 15GHz on the 5GHz band, and 20GHz on the 2.4 band. There is a ton, I count 17, wireless networks around my house.

Is there a setting I can change to boost performance of the T3200M?

Accepted Solutions
Most Helpful
NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Your best bet would be to add an ethernet connected Access Point to the mix. Telus offers one for their higher speed packages, or you can add something like a D-Link DIR-605L, which has easy set up for use as an Access Point.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

View solution in original post

All Replies
Most Helpful
NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Your best bet would be to add an ethernet connected Access Point to the mix. Telus offers one for their higher speed packages, or you can add something like a D-Link DIR-605L, which has easy set up for use as an Access Point.

NFtoBC

View solution in original post

Zman2k2
Ambassador

Just called Telus, and have an appointment on Tuesday, for someone to come out and look at things.  I asked if the Extender can be connected to a switch, and he said he didn't see why not, as all it needs is connection to the internet.  So, I'll set up the XBox wirelessly, and put the extender behind the center speaker on my entertainment setup.  Then the wi-fi should work as hoped.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Zman2k2

Let us know how it goes!

NFtoBC
Zman2k2
Ambassador

Well, I had to cancel the Tues. appt.  My mum has an appt. that I forgot I have to take her to.  So, thinking myself, I thought I could fix things.

1.  I have 2 100ft. ethernet cables running from the office to the entertainment center.

2.  The box that goes into the WAN port of the modem accepts an ethernet cable.

I moved the router to behind my TV, by connecting one of the 100ft. ethernet cords I have running to the entertainment center to the box for the WAN port and the WAN port of the router in the living room.  Connected the PVR, the wireless box and my switch to the LAN ports, and plugged everything in.  BOOM!  I have great signal where we use our wireless devices the most, maximum speed over 2.4 and 5GHz wireless during "busy" periods here, and no more slowdowns.  And the wife is happy, as I was able to remove one of the cables running along the baseboards of the living room.  

I think I did pretty good!Smiley Very Happy

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I'm a bit confused by your description of which wire went where, but it sounds like you got it working. Looks like you got the most important bit right:

@Zman2k2 wrote:

And the wife is happy, 

I think I did pretty good!Smiley Very Happy

Happy Wife - happy life!  Good on ya!

Thanks for sharing.

NFtoBC
Zman2k2
Ambassador

You're right.  I explained it a little confusingly.  Let me try again, I was excited.  

I have 2 ethernet cords running from the office to the entertainment unit.  I only need one.  I have the WAN line that Telus ran for me to the office all the way at the back of the house.  What I did, was connect one ethernet cable to the WAN cable that Telus has run from the ONT to the office, and now I have a loop that goes from the front of the house where the fibre comes in to the ONT, to the back of the house in the office, where I had the router initially.  I then connected one of the ethernet cables I had going to my entertainment center from the office, and it goes from front to back to front.  Big loop.  I then connected the router to that ethernet cable that I connected in the office to the router, which I moved to the front of the house, where we use 95% of our wireless.  Then I connected with cables, the PVR, the wireless box transmitter, and a switch that goes to a few devices in my entertainment center.  The second ethernet cable from the office is rolled up, and in the basement again, not being used.  

None of the run from the ONT to the router affects speed.  I still pull 168Mbps on 5GHz on speedtest.net, during the busy download, Netflix, online shopping time around me.  Remember, I did this because at any given time, I can pick up between 15-17 wireless networks in my house.  I live in an older neighbourhood, and the house are fairly close together.  And there's no back alley behind my house, so those houses are closer.  

And you're right.  Removing a cable from the living room made the wife happy, and really, that's the most important thing, right?Smiley LOL