cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre/4K Scorpio Xbox/gigbabit internet/Voip

will all this come sooner then later?

with #SurreyBC getting upgraded to fibre optic and they say every year for the next three the speed will increase for everyone...

will do another forum on Xbox Scorpio tho..

will gigabyte come soon? and more companies going to VOIP? like everything on IPS

like Sling tv with VPNS and homephones and streaming and gaming!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

You've asked a lot of these questions previously.

1) It will take as long as it does to roll out fibre.

2) Xbox? Go see Microsoft. Not a Telus issue or product.

3) You do not need gigabit. Your PC can't handle gigabit. Most servers out there don't even have gigabit connections. It's major overkill.

4) Sling/VPNs? Not a Telus issue or product. 

Also hashtags don't do anything on the forums. Try twitter.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

You've asked a lot of these questions previously.

1) It will take as long as it does to roll out fibre.

2) Xbox? Go see Microsoft. Not a Telus issue or product.

3) You do not need gigabit. Your PC can't handle gigabit. Most servers out there don't even have gigabit connections. It's major overkill.

4) Sling/VPNs? Not a Telus issue or product. 

Also hashtags don't do anything on the forums. Try twitter.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

> You do not need gigabit. Your PC can't handle gigabit. Most servers out there don't even have gigabit connections. It's major overkill.

Lies.

Maybe his PC can't, but mine can. Heck even my pfSense box built from circa 2010 desktop hardware can route a gigabit WAN->LAN. 🙂

Gigabit comes in handy for dealing with multiple users, as like you said, many servers can't handle gigabit but it keeps the connection nice and steady for everyone.

Crummy Realtek NIC's can't handle gigabit, which most people have, but I have Intel and Broadcom ones.

I was a hotel in Palo Alto with my Macbook Pro last year downloading at 120MB/s from Microsoft's CDN. My Macbook Pro has a PCI-E SSD. Most SATA SSD's can handle the speeds required for gigabit too.

TELUS is trying 250mbps service in Rural BC. I think Gigabit should be the next step and I would like to be a tester when that happens.