Boosting Actiontec's signal the hard way

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
MMounteer
Resident

The Telus modified Actiontec V1000H' range is abismal.  Presently in my home the range appears to splutter out at about 20 feet.  Unfortunately Telus has **bleep**ed up this perfectly functional piece of equipment by removing, amongst many others, bridge mode. Thus an additional router cannot be connected wirelesly in order to boost the Actiontec signal.  

One could of course connect another wired router and turn off the Actiontec's signal.  I've priced suitable router's at  about C$200, a lot of cash just to do the Telus Actiontec's job.  

There are ways around this problem.  One can sign into the Telus Actiontec as root and turn on bridging mode.  Unfortunately due to Telus' latest firmware having disabled the previously well known password for root, one now has to follow the work-around documented below:

http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/questions/2553873-setting-up-actiontec-v1-hwith-telus-...

Good luck and Telus, UP Yours!

Paskell
Helpful Neighbour

bridge mode. is the same as having another router.. your bridging the signal to the new router to send out the wifi signal. so it must have bridge mode

Danger
Advocate

I may be wrong, but I think if you change the DNS servers in the router and you have optiktv it may pooch your TV watching ability.  

xray
All-Star

"Presently in my home the range appears to splutter out at about 20 feet."

There can be environmental causes for the poor range. Where is the Actiontec located in your house and what is near it? How many other WiFi signals from your neighbors do you see? Any 2.4 Ghz cordless phones? How many walls and floors are you going through in those 20 feet? Have you considered moving it to a more cental location if it's currently in the basement?

"I've priced suitable router's at about C$200"

There are plenty of 802.11n routers on the market with similar specs as the Actiontec for under $100. A quick search on tigerdirect.ca shows 83 such routers under $100 of which 33 are under $50. The router you priced out is likely a significant upgrade over the Actiontec so you are not comparing apples to apples.

I use a DLink DIR655 attached to the Actiontec for my home network and configured on a separate subnet. I leave the Optik boxes on the Actiontec subnet. The DIR655 is located on the main floor close to most of the wireless devices. I have full access to the router's functions including saving the configuration to a file which is sorely missing (locked out) on the Actiontec. 

Works well for me and it cost me less than $70 at the time. You could say it's boosting the Actiontec signal the easy way.

Most Helpful
thearchitek
Resident

For future reference, you can double your wifi range with a repeater for free.  Free, if you have an old Linksys WRT-54G kicking around.  You would load DD-WRT on it and configure it as a repeater, then BAM wifi reception in your backyard, garage, etc...

Google DD-WRT

thearchitek
Resident

For future reference, you can double your wifi range with a repeater for free.  Free, if you have an old Linksys WRT-54G kicking around.  You would load DD-WRT on it and configure it as a repeater.  After spending 30 min. downloading the required files, re-imaging the Linksys, and configuring it, BAM I get wifi reception in my backyard and garage.

Google DD-WRT

xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum