Why no Telus conectivity in Vancouver Skytrain tunnel & poor coverage for transit commuter?!

Dayv
Just Moved In

From Stadium to Waterfront stations, Telus has no service. Why? Other providers have coverage. I've been a Telus customer for what seems like hundreds of years and have been riding Skytrain since it opened in 1986. I have put this question to Telus repeatedly with no answers. Come on Telus. Please get on the ball here. BTW, there are numerous Telus service gaps along the Skytrain line and because of this calls have been dropping for me since cell phones were invented. This reflects poorly on Telus' commitment to the environment, as the bad wireless service discourages people from getting out of their cars and taking transit.  If I know I have an important phone call, I can't take Skytrain because Telus does not have a reliable network that supports transit commuters. Please get on this ASAP!

Category:
Comments

Hi Dayv, while TELUS continues to expand and improve their infrastructure certain factors such as line of sight to towers and interference can disrupt mobile device signals. Moving vehicles such as trains complicate matters by being constantly on the move and going through tunnels and various potentially interference heavy zones whilst simultaneously being handed off from one tower to another. 

xray
All-Star

TELUS provides cell service in the Ottawa LRT tunnels. 

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/city-hall-blog-city-reaches-agreement-for-cell-service-in-...

I'd like to have cell coverage in the Calgary LRT tunnels as well.

Community Power User
Community Power User

@xray Be sure to petition the City of Calgary and Calgary Transit to allow the installation of the cellular hardware. That's the biggest hurdle affecting getting cell service in Edmonton's LRT tunnels. The cell carriers need permission to install the services. Not sure if there are any other regulatory hurdles either like with the CRTC.

At least in Edmonton the City has fibre optic fed wifi installed in the stations and it's really fast in most of the underground ones I've used in the last year or two.

BillTelusCust
Ambassador

@Dimo-X SHAW is putting Wi fi on the trains and buses.  Rogers has coverage in the tunnels.  The technology exists to put it on these things.  Sometimes you need to put in equipment.  Sometimes you have to make deals.  

Making up what I see as very lame excuses doesn't help anyone.

That's your answer???  Nonsense.

"Moving vehicles such as trains complicate matters by being constantly on the move and going through tunnels and various potentially interference heavy zones whilst simultaneously being handed off from one tower to another."