cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

self install

Jaycee
Just Moved In

We have just switched to Smarthome and feeling a bit overwhelmed with having to self install as we are a bit older and not very tech savvy. it looks as if the panel has to be plugged in, so I can't mount it where my old system is. who wants wires hanging down the wall? Our previous system was all wired in and done for us, not excited about having to try and figure out the apps etc for step by step instruction. Almost wishing we hadn't switched. Would prefer a tech coming and installing, may have to wait until COVID is over and request a proper install.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Foonus
Ambassador

The installation isn't terrible once you get used to the procedure, hooked up just over 20 devices between sensors and cameras.  As far as the security system goes, you will only need the Telus SmartHome app to configure it. As a standalone security system this will work just fine for you.

BUT I will be 100% honest with you based on my experience trying to integrate the setup into a smart home.  If you plan to add many third party home automation devices to your home and plan for them to work with this system flawlessly through Google Home or Amazon Alexa, go back to your previous provider before you spend a fortune on an electrician to get this new setup installed.  This will require messing with several apps for each device you add and the state of the current integration with both services is currently abysmal. The only reason I did not cancel after realizing just how crude the home automation is was the fact I actually do need the guard monitored service.

One thing to keep in mind, if you do not have have a strong wireless signal to anywhere you plan to put an indoor or outdoor camera you will need to deal with that prior to setting up your alarm system. 

Pro Tip: You can use RJ-45 with the indoor cameras, the ADC-V522IR has an Ethernet port built in.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Foonus
Ambassador

The installation isn't terrible once you get used to the procedure, hooked up just over 20 devices between sensors and cameras.  As far as the security system goes, you will only need the Telus SmartHome app to configure it. As a standalone security system this will work just fine for you.

BUT I will be 100% honest with you based on my experience trying to integrate the setup into a smart home.  If you plan to add many third party home automation devices to your home and plan for them to work with this system flawlessly through Google Home or Amazon Alexa, go back to your previous provider before you spend a fortune on an electrician to get this new setup installed.  This will require messing with several apps for each device you add and the state of the current integration with both services is currently abysmal. The only reason I did not cancel after realizing just how crude the home automation is was the fact I actually do need the guard monitored service.

One thing to keep in mind, if you do not have have a strong wireless signal to anywhere you plan to put an indoor or outdoor camera you will need to deal with that prior to setting up your alarm system. 

Pro Tip: You can use RJ-45 with the indoor cameras, the ADC-V522IR has an Ethernet port built in.