cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Night color vision

LisaDwyer
Just Moved In
My camera doesn’t give me any color at night, it is black and white and a fuzzy picture. Does anyone else have that problem?
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Most digital security cameras switch to infrared at night or once the ambient light level drops far enough, which appears black and white. Digital images in very low light produce horrible quality images in general. Color digital images in low light can be really bad which is why most security cameras switch to infrared.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

xray
Hero
I have never heard of a consumer grade security camera that can take color video in low light conditions. It's not a problem, that's how they all work.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Most digital security cameras switch to infrared at night or once the ambient light level drops far enough, which appears black and white. Digital images in very low light produce horrible quality images in general. Color digital images in low light can be really bad which is why most security cameras switch to infrared.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

xray
Hero
I have never heard of a consumer grade security camera that can take color video in low light conditions. It's not a problem, that's how they all work.