cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Keep a Channel Forever On?

tonten
Organizer

I only want to watch 1 channel. Every time I have it on, after 4 hours, it defaults back to PIK's main menu.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

KHR
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @tonten 

What device are you watching Pik TV on? If you're watching on the TELUS TV Digital Box, you can manage your screen saver preferences in Settings --> Device Preferences --> Screen Saver. If you want your TV to play forever, you can select 'Never' for When to start and 'Never' for Put device to sleep

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

On Optik, similar activity is part of the Energy Star requirement, and can be changed by request to Telus for a change to the 4 hour limit. I do not know if the same applies to PikTV.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

KHR
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @tonten 

What device are you watching Pik TV on? If you're watching on the TELUS TV Digital Box, you can manage your screen saver preferences in Settings --> Device Preferences --> Screen Saver. If you want your TV to play forever, you can select 'Never' for When to start and 'Never' for Put device to sleep

Chromecast. I've already configured chromecast to never turn on screensaver and ambient mode and the TV to always be on. But after 4 hours, any telus channel I'm watching turns off and it defaults back to the previous telus selection menu.

KHR
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Do you mean Chromecast with Google TV? Pik TV doesn't currently support Chromecast. 

Either way, there isn't currently a way to disable this 4 hr timer. I can pass the feedback to our Android TV developers.  

Oh. I have PIK TV installed on my chromecast. It works fine except that I can't stream any channel for more than 4 hours before it shuts off and defaults back to the previous menu in PIK

It says on telus official page I can use it chromecast.

https://www.telus.com/en/support/article/pik-tv-app-chromecast-google-tv

CJ7
Just Moved In

It doesn't work. I have called Telus for 2 weeks almost every day to get this changed. All my tvs are set to Never but after 4 hours it goes into sleep mode! One tech had me re-set to factory settings. What a mistake as I had to self install again. What a waste of time.

Hi @CJ7, upon confirming with the team, you're correct that the box will go to sleep after 4 hours regardless of the setting on the box (this is a request from Energy Star as a sustainability requirement) You can prevent the box from going to sleep by pressing any button, or hit ok when it asks if you're still watching on the countdown to 4 hours! 

I have tried everything. Yes on the tv went into settings and the sleep mode and put Never to turn off. The Telus techs have tried at their end with no success. I even flagged down a Telus Service truck and she is going to look into it for me. I would need them to send me the old Telus box for this sleep mode to go away. Telus told me they would cancel my service and I would have to wait for the old boxes and then they would do a new account after I self install. That is just crazy!
I do not see a setting on the box itself.