Wi-Fi Calling For Android

Community Manager
Community Manager

You asked. We listened.

One of the questions we’ve been getting for awhile is, “When is Wi-Fi Calling for Android coming?” Up until now, the answer in the TELUS Neighbourhood forums and in the Ideas section has been, “Coming soon.

We’re happy to say that day has finally come and Wi-Fi Calling for Android has arrived, beginning with the LG G6.

Next Up - Cheetah.jpg

What is Wi-Fi Calling?

Wi-Fi Calling is a feature on your TELUS Mobility cell phone that allows you to make calls and send messages over Wi-Fi instead of the cellular network. This works really well for people in rural areas that may not have cell coverage. Live in a basement suite or condo with weak cell signal? You’re going to love Wi-Fi calling.

What Phones Can I Use it On?

Starting today on the LG G6 with more Android devices to follow. We’ll keep this page updated as Wi-Fi Calling for Android rolls out, so make sure you check back.

Find out more about Wi-Fi calling.

Got an iPhone? We’ve got you covered.

8 Comments
Dash78
Just Moved In

Got the update on my LG G6 but get an error on the Telus page when trying to set it up. So not available yet 

dwheeler
Just Moved In

will it be available for all android phones or just the ones telus decides to support or only the ones they sell?

Community Manager
Community Manager

@Dash78 It is available and there shouldn't be any problems. Are you able to share the specific error so the team can look into it?

@dwheeler, we'll keep the post updated with devices as they roll out.

Schmiesus
Just Moved In

I get an error saying "My Account" app isn't activated. My account app has full permissions and is installed. So this was a let down.

Dash78
Just Moved In

@Scoto  Contact Us, there was a problem adding the service. For further assistance contact us.  

I would rather not waste my time and just have it work with setup. 

Beardude
Just Moved In

Why is it taking so long for the Wifi calling to roll out. I have a S6 and a S7. Thought with the Galaxy series being a popular line for Telus, that they would be added sooner rather than later. I now wish I had went with a different carrier. 

dwheeler
Just Moved In

Why would they start with the LG G6 pretty sure they would sell a lot more Samsung phones than LG

Schmiesus
Just Moved In

dwwheeler

Would most likely it was easier to intergrate LG First based on resources from them. I'm sure Samsung is happening as we speak but may not be as straight forward or requires firmware or hardware upgrades on the nodes which would take time.