The Story of My Fibre Install

SCo
Ambassador

Why Fibre

Internet at 150 Mbps…

Hi, I’m Neighbourhood member @SCo. The Community Managers at TELUS liked one of my previous posts and asked if I wouId share my experience with you.

Back in September 2016, I found out TELUS was installing fibre optic service in my neighbourhood. Knowing the kind of speeds that are possible on a fibre optic network, I knew I had to sign up. But it was important for me to first consider my environmental challenges against my requirements. Allow me to explain:

I live in a pre-internet era home that isn’t pre-wired with Ethernet cables. My home is two stories high with a furnished basement and garage (more on why this is significant later). I require at least 100 Mbps (ideally with an equally fast symmetrical upload speed) to power a wired connect to my desktop computer for graphics work and a strong wireless network to fuel the multiple laptops and tablets in my home.

I researched the offerings from various service providers on Google which pointed me to a few informative sites. Based on reviews from users and my own unique requirements, I deemed TELUS’ PureFibre 150/150 to be the winner based on the merits of speed and hardware in the form of the included Actiontec T3200M (with WEB6000 access point). Speed possibilities aside, it won’t do me any good if the wireless coverage is poor.

So I’ve selected my new provider and I’ve crossed it off the list but now I’ll have to overcome some environmental challenges I’m faced with. My pre-internet era fully furnished home presents the biggest challenge. How will I go about wiring the entire place for ethernet connectivity originating at the TELUS Optical Network Terminal (the ONT Box)? The most convenient and logical location would be to mount the ONT on a wall in the garage where the demarcation box is located. But of course, I would have to take on the unenviable task of pre-wiring the entire house with CAT 5e cable to be able to support gigabit bandwidth.

Time to get my ducks in a row. First, I had to confirm Fibre was, in fact, available at my home, and it was! I placed an order and made arrangements for a tech to connect me via FTTH. In anticipation of the installation, I designed the CAT 5e open loop distribution system originating in the garage that runs through the basement to the gateway continuing on to the second floor wireless access point (AP) where it will loop back to the garage to a secondary AP that provides connectivity for additional security.

MY ETHERNET DISTRIBUTION DESIGN DIAGRAM

Install Diagram.jpg

So you must be looking at my diagram and asking yourself, “how are you going to make that happen?” Luckily, I have an electrician friend who worked with me for more than 8 hours to complete the open loop ethernet distribution system with hidden wiring. Not to pat myself on the back but *pats self on back* we finished one week ahead of schedule. The TELUS tech came as scheduled on the weekend and the whole installation was completed without a hitch in less than two hours since all the hard work was already finished Smiley Wink

MY INSTALLATION PHOTOS

Install 1.jpg

Install 2.jpg

Install 3.jpg

INTERNET PERFORMANCE DATA

Wired connection

performance 1.jpg

Wireless connection

performance 2.jpg

Everyone at home – ALL SMILES!

7 Comments
Community Power User
Community Power User

Question: could you have simply run two Ethernet cables between the T3200M and the garage, and connected the second access point to port 2 on the Actiontec?

Community Power User
Community Power User

Is this a detached garage?  I had the fibre come right into the basement.

The T3200M at the center of the house works great for me.  I just need new devices that can keep up.

Running Wireless Optik cable boxes.... my pre-Internet era heritage home works great!

SCo
Ambassador

Question: could you have simply run two Ethernet cables between the T3200M and the garage, and connected the second access point to port 2 on the Actiontec?

Answer: yes I could, but I went the open loop method to allow the flexibility that the T3200M can be either in the basement or the main floor.

Question: Is this a detached garage?  I had the fibre come right into the basement.

Amswer:  It is an attached garage, but the Telus demarc box is far from the basement. The basement is a full basement i.e. hard for Telus to run the fiber hidden.  I decided to make it easier for Telus tech, and have everything concealed by doing it my way.

Community Power User
Community Power User

I too have a very busy basement.... I had the installer quickly staple the Ethernet cable to the ceiling edge.  Rolled up an extra feet in the corner.  When I have time to clear out the basement.... I can drop the cable to the floor edge and hide any extra behind furniture.

Sundog1966
Just Moved In

Cisco 3750.JPGEaton 5Px 3000.jpgUPS Status.jpgIs there a UPS Connected to the Alcatel unit?  I also would put on on you router as well and connect your primary  desktop to it.  In my case I went for a 3000 Va unit so I would be god for 4 hours  in the case of an outage.  This way I cn check for more wide spread events with the hydro and emergency services as well as monitor weather conditions.

To install that large a UPS I had to get an electrician to run a separately grounded and isolated  30A  circuit into my basement off the main panel and also took the time to have to panel upgraded from 60A to 200A for future consideration in-case I decide to run a rack of servers. Cost a  $700 but is well worth it. I also have a switch on each floor that aggregates back to the main layer 3 switch (a cisco 3750 $1200 its both a switch and a router like your but more commercial grade with more control) in the basement.  One other thing I did was to get a back-flow prevention valve  installed at the main drain in the basement so if there is a heavy rain we don't get water coming up through the  drain again.  Another $500 for a plumber, but is is better than having 8 inches of water flood the basement again.

backflow prevention valve.jpg

My next big move will be to have a whole house generator  installed.  That is going to be  about $2000 for the generator and automatic transfer switch. and about $500 for the electrician.

SCo
Ambassador

An UPS is a good thing, but since my landline remains connected by copper to Telus, I am not too worried.  Besides, there is always the Telus mobile phone for any emergency internet usage.

I would not spend the money you proposed unless you are making some money out of it. After all, it is a residential service.  

Community Power User
Community Power User

It's been a few weeks since my fibre conversion.  A few areas to check/followup after my equipment was reset...

• Optik on the Go needs to be re-registered.  Strange... my re-registration needed a tech chat three times to get it stay registered
  • check your TV aspect ratio setting.  I noticed my SD channels were all stretched.  It was set to 1080i, by changing to 1080p...  my SD channels went back to the correct aspect ratio.

Other than the two above issues... fibre has been reliable.