cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using credits to buy other services or devices. Getting mixed messages.

FMTor
Just Moved In

I'm a Prepaid customer.  I have a large credit balance with Telus that will expire long before my actual usage draws down from it.  My usage is very minimal.  It's mostly for texting and emergencies. In various online chats with Telus customer service agents, I've been told I can use my balance to buy a new phone from the ones listed on Telus.com for prepaid customrs.  I'd be buying that phone for my MIL and then shecan activate a prepaid plan that suits her  So, with the information, I called today. I wanted to buy an Alcatel Pixi 4 for $100CAD My balance is > $140CAD.  I was told first that it was out of stock and then after being on hold that I couldn't buy it with my credits anyway. That that link is for brand new customers without a phone.  The only phone available to me would be a LG X Power 2 @ $240CAD . In effect, I'd have to add an extra $100 to get a phone that would be overkill for the user and doesn't meet my goal of using my expiring credits.   So, what's the straight answer on this? Can I use credits to buy phones that are listed on this URL or not? https://www.telus.com/en/on/mobility/phones/type/prepaid

I've already made two calls to confirm this and was told "yes" both times.  But today I make the call and I'm told I can't do it?  I'm at the point where I'd rather get another phone on my own and sign up my MIL with another provider.  Telus has my money, I'd like to use it and if anything they benefit from getting an additional customer.  I don't understand all these artificial hoops and policies to do something that is clearly simple and beneficial to all parties involved.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

polecat
All-Star

I Had the same thing for myself. Go to  telus client care (email)..Once your balance is over $200 you can use the credits to get a new phone. Mine ended up at $260 so i got a galaxy j3 ($240).Our account was barely used one year (medical issues) and i didn't want to lose the credits. I have since topped up the prepaid account $100 --365. It will 4-7 days for a reply back. For emergency use when travelling and it suits us just fine. Over $300 they will put you on a 30 day plan..Remember $ balance on prepaid is airtime you paid for so if you don't use it you lose it. You paid for the beer and don't drink it to bad....Polecat

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus has made offers to use such credits on transfer to postpaid, but I am not aware of the ability to do so within prepaid. There are specific things which will happen once your balance exceeds $300, as described in section 12 of the Terms and Conditions.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

polecat
All-Star

I Had the same thing for myself. Go to  telus client care (email)..Once your balance is over $200 you can use the credits to get a new phone. Mine ended up at $260 so i got a galaxy j3 ($240).Our account was barely used one year (medical issues) and i didn't want to lose the credits. I have since topped up the prepaid account $100 --365. It will 4-7 days for a reply back. For emergency use when travelling and it suits us just fine. Over $300 they will put you on a 30 day plan..Remember $ balance on prepaid is airtime you paid for so if you don't use it you lose it. You paid for the beer and don't drink it to bad....Polecat

polecat
All-Star

Sorry go to ([email protected]) email address. The chat thing gave me 3 different answers.Very happy with the help they gave me...Polecat

Lola
Rockstar

Just thinking out loud, at one time there was chatter about making expiration on top-ups illegal, as they are with most gift cards. I guess they got around that by implementing mandatory rate plans to avoid top-up expiration, and so use up the funds. I don't know, the chatter was hopeful tho; too bad it didn't go where it should have gone. Definitely the funds should be easier to spend beyond service.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Folks who purchase a phone and pay-per-use plan for emergency use, are paying for the reasonable expectancy of service being available when they need it. At some point the infrastructure needs to be paid for. If unused funds placed in an account can be used for other purposes, who pays for the infrastructure?

NFtoBC

But if funds are only used at Telus, say to pay other Telus bills or for accessories (if Telus ever offers decent accessories), then Telus can use those funds for whatever purpose, and customers get the use of their money not used on prepaid phone services. I think things appear unfair as they are, whether actually unfair or not isn't the issue, the appearance of unfairness is the issue.

polecat
All-Star

If telus was losing money on prepaid they would cancel it. I bought a telus phone (profit) prepaid  6+ years excess money draws interest.Got phone from my overage  (profit on phone). Their  infrastructure benefits  every time i use the phone.  Usage charges on both end of the call. Thats my take of it.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@polecatwrote:

If telus was losing money on prepaid they would cancel it. 

They in effect have, as described by Lola!

NFtoBC

polecat
All-Star

Well their shares are going up dividends up  stock  up 4.5% maybe they are required to supply this service in canada. If so i do appreciate the security i get when travelling. Telus will survive and things will get more user friendly in the future. TKS.