cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billed for data did not use

bh79
Just Moved In

Have had a a cell phone for security for about 15 years. Have a most basic plan, only make few calls a month , never give out number,never had a billing problem. Received a bill for data charge in June 2019. When contacted Telus I was told I had to have done something could be an app-I never download.. Was given 50% off charge. Was leaving for Europe so did not have time to pursue so paid what was told to.Phone left at home.  Friend turned off data button for me. Just come back from Europe first on- line bill another data charge. Took phone to Telus store. Told data charges might be for updates to phone operating system- This is second smart phone have had - never had an update charge. Phoned Telus. Told it was my responsibility and that I had already been accommodated 50% of charges . Any suggestions how this might have happened ?. Funny pattern to charges first May 22, theN 5 consecutive days in June 

I am a longtime customer since 1966 - have a land line, internet and Optik TV so am paying over $200 a month for that in addition to cell phone. With no reasonable explanation provided on how this might have happened feel I am being called a liar.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Do you have a plan without data? Unless you request a data block, you are subject to pay-per-use data. Unfortunately on many phones, simply turning off the cellular data does not stop some phones from connecting to the data network, especially at startup, or on switching from Airplane mode to regular service. This issue becomes more prevalent when travelling, as even a Telus data block would not apply on other carriers, and you are relying entirely on your phone to prevent data consumption.

A phone left on, but unused will disconnect from Wi-Fi, and may automatically consume cellular data, rather than first connecting to you Wi-Fi network.

If you fully describe your use case, we can suggest solutions to reduce this issue.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

What model cellphone?

How much data?

NFtoBC

bh79
Just Moved In

Phone is LG. First month charge was $11.97 second month $18.99. Was told latter ones were very short connections with cell tower on 5 consecutive days- weird !

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Do you have a plan without data? Unless you request a data block, you are subject to pay-per-use data. Unfortunately on many phones, simply turning off the cellular data does not stop some phones from connecting to the data network, especially at startup, or on switching from Airplane mode to regular service. This issue becomes more prevalent when travelling, as even a Telus data block would not apply on other carriers, and you are relying entirely on your phone to prevent data consumption.

A phone left on, but unused will disconnect from Wi-Fi, and may automatically consume cellular data, rather than first connecting to you Wi-Fi network.

If you fully describe your use case, we can suggest solutions to reduce this issue.

NFtoBC