cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We have had a no dial tone issue with home phone since the installation in September.

Slammer422
Friendly Neighbour

We have an intermittent loss of dial tone and the intermittent need to reboot the system. After initial troubleshooting and the purchase of a new phone set, we have been advised that this is a known software issue and a fix is being worked on. This has been ongoing for three months which frankly is unbelievable. Does anyone have any further information on this issue?

11 REPLIES 11

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I find that hard to believe and you've had dialtone issues for that long with a landline. No dialtone issues typically have a tech out to address them as it's usually a physical issue. It has nothing to do with software and I doubt a "fix" is being worked on. How many technicians have you had sent out either to the area or to your house in the last 3 months? I'd call back and really escalate this.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

We have had a technician out twice. The outcome of that was to replace our phone handsets. Subsequently we were told that it was a software issue and a fix was being worked on. Apparently we have a new "white box" that is causing the issue. In early November we received a mass email from Telus management acknowledging the issue and advising of a $15 credit. This has been received. I too find it hard to believe it has lasted this long. It is also a security issue as our alarm system will lose communication with the monitoring station. I was hoping this post would provide more info. Sent from my iPhone

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Are you located in a more remote area by chance?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Slammer422
Friendly Neighbour

No not at all, Cloverdale.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Odd. I'd call in and escalate the issue. If the phones / etc at your house has been ruled out as part of the issue, call. Once the line is provisioned (programmed), it's either on or off. I still don't buy the software fix explanation they gave you. You've either got a short in the line somewhere or water could be getting in and causing problems too. Both could yield intermittent no dial tone.

I know for the lower mainland, with all the moisture that comes and goes, if the demarcation box's seal is damaged, water could get in and corrode the contacts (if you have an external demarc). If the drop line to the house is old enough that the insulation is cracked / damaged / chewed by squirrels, that could be an issue as well. If the phone line is underground, similar issue but it depends if it's in a conduit or just buried in dirt. Conduits can sometimes fill with water and dirt holds moisture. Outside of your property there could be a number of different issues that a tech could identify.

Slammer422
Friendly Neighbour

Slammer422
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks for the help  Nighthawk.  The explanation we have been given is that if we hang up our phone before the other caller, the line remains "in use".  (I may have gotten this backwards).  This can be cleared usually by hanging up and trying again to get a dial tone.  Occasionally, the system needs to be rebooted, so we have to power down the "white box".  This is a new installation in a new neighbourhood, so I don't think it is hardware related but you may be right, as your explanation is more plausible than a software issue that can't be fixed within three months.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

White box? Are you on fiber? If yes, the white ONT cannot be rebooted because of the battery backup connected to it. No matter what they tell you, do not disconnect the battery as only a tech should be touching that. Considering the huge number of existing fiber installs not having this issue, something is definitely out of the ordinary. Just as a test, have you ever tried a simple corded phone?

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

A trick I've done...use your cellphone to call home.  Sometimes this wakes up the equipment.  Had to do this a few years ago.

If that fails.... I would call a technician.  I have a very old heritage home.... they had to redo the wiring from the telephone pole to the home.  Then punch a new wire into the home.

Slammer422
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks Nighthawk and xl.  xl I can usually get a dial tone by hanging up and trying again.  As Nighthawk suspected, this installation is fibre optic and comes with the new "white box" which we have  been told is the issue.  We did try a corded phone and no difference.  I will try escalating this issue next.

Well the issue appears to be coming to an end.  Telus has confirmed that they will roll out a fix on February 12th that will fix the issue.  The issue is with the ONT Alcaltel box.