cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey Scam

kmort51
Just Moved In

I was victimized by an internet scam involving an unauthorized "Survey" company posing as conducting a survey for Telus ... once you completed the survey there was an offer for an appreciation gift.

Because it was from TELUS I did not investigate thoroughly enough and went along with receiving the "gift" .... short story ... I lost $180.

I see the same scam is circulating again as a "September Survey for Telus Customers" and wish TELUS would send out a warning email to their customers or at minimum post an alert statement on their website advising their customers of the scam.

Has anyone else seen the messages and fallen for this scam?

28 REPLIES 28

ScottyJ
Neighbourhood Alum
Neighbourhood Alum

Comment from Neighbourhood Article moved to forums for discussion.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
I'm curious. Did they ask you send money, or did they obtain it by other means from you?
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

I was only asked to pay for shipping...in hindsight, that should have been my first clue. But as I mentioned in my post- I thought Telus had a secure site 😞

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
Telus site itself is secure. It's easy to clone a site to look legit. Simply hovering your mouse over a URL you will see it never appears what it seems. Scam sites can't use actual Telus.com URLs.

Sadly lots of scams prey on ignorance and deception. For peace of mind never agree to things over the phone or online. Facebook is the worst for those "free" gift cards etc.

Call Telus or any other company for that matter and verify what you were told. Saves the person the aggregation and headaches of being scammed.

Just like the tax scam call enough people eventually they trick someone to pay them money.

Be that as it may. I paid my telus bill online on the 'secure' payment site. As soon as I submitted my payment the next page that came up was that of the 'Thank you from Telus' survey. As I am NOT the only one to be taken in by this scam you can understand MY 'ignorance'. Sorry, still pissed! 

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

When you're on the Telus portal you can verify you're on the secure site by the HTTPS you can also Verify the certificate to know your not on a scam site! It's a simple check everyone should do especially when sending payments online.

Sorry you got scammed, but you will be more vigilant in the future. Especially knowing what sign to look for when dealing with "clone" fake sites.

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 3.08.09 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-02 at 3.07.37 PM.png

Same thing happened to me as soon as I paid my account, I got the survey, Telus should have an answer to this scam because it happened immediately after I paid my account... How can this happens? I got scammed with $389 because I ordered two products... Nice gift from Telus. I called Telus and they didn't even bother to send it to their legal department... I was on Telus site and the scammers used Telus logo andthey pushed a survey after the payment and again on Telus site... What a joke... All those engineers and security at Telus!!! So pissed off from this company All Skin and I don't understand why Telus as big as they are they can't sue a company using their logo and infiltrating their site and scamming users on their site.... This is not acceptable from a big firm like Telus.

Of course, the request is made for the shipping and handling so I gave my credit card number.

It may be a good deal but I did not feel good about being "deceived" by my phone company.

Cwillock
Neighbour

I too got this "TELUS" survey - with it the "FREE" gift. I accepted the gift only because I was on a "SECURE" TELUS website. Well, how wrong I was when I got charged for two items at $189.00 and $180.00!!! I cant afford that, I'm a single mom with 3 kids and 3 cell phone plans!! Super P.O.'d!! Glad I'm not the only one!  

Tony1
Just Moved In

Why Telus didn't send an email and had a warning as you mentioned... Telus is responsible as those scammers, they didn't do anything about it. It is been happening since September and it happened to me today in November... Very pissed off....

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

There are scams that happen everyday to companies all around the world. As i stated above is one way to protect yourself. *If it sounds to good to be true always applies.

If you notice something online/email users such as yourself can report it on the community. Or social media channels  Facebook or Twitter.

ToniTheTygrrrr
Just Moved In

How did you lose $180? I see these phony surveys for different companies all the time. I never do them. If a company wants to do a survey it will be on their site and not a pop-up.

niz786
Just Moved In

This is a fraud.  Same thing happened to me.  I answered the survey, and they told me i had won two products--one from myskinglows and the other from Smoothfaceskin.  I was told i just have to pay 0.99 cents for shipping.  They charged me 0.99 cents for two products.  When i received my January Visa statement, there were two bills for US 139 and 146 (about 188 and 198 CDN dollars) dated jan 27 .  I called my visa company and asked them if the same billings were in the Feb statement, and sure enough it was there too.  They never told me that i had to cancel this within 14 days, otherwise i would be charge 139 US and 146 US.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

That specific scam with the makeup / cremes has been on the news a few times now. It's not a new one.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Anyone affected by any sort of fraudulent activity such as this please check with Transunion 1-800-663-9980 that no new accounts that you haven't authorized with any other companies have not popped up in your name secretly destroying your credit! @kmort51 @cwillock @Tony1

Mobility Client Care Rep

DonRhone
Friendly Neighbour

I have come across one of those as well.  The one I keep seeing is a pop up indicating that as a Telus subscriber I am eligible for a free gift. they do have a little survey about Telus customer service.

That should have been the first clue, I do not think Telus knows about Customer Service.

Anyway you are then shown a list of items, there are a bunch of testimonials listed as well. Thats when I closed the page.

It certainly does look like a Telus offer though.  I am surprised that Telus is not working to remove them, I still keep running into them.

I'm sorry to hear you don't think Telus has good customer service 😞 . Telus is always working to remove them but, as soon as they remove one a new one comes around. There will always be someone posing as Telus or another company trying to steal innocent customer's information. Telus does send emails and sms surveys about customer service frequently. I've gotten both for calling into the call center and having Telus come out and install or fix an internet issue. They have also given out customer gifts in the past. http://about.telus.com/community/english/security

Mobility Client Care Rep

friend
Just Moved In

This is already twice I got the TELUS-look-like survey in 2016 and May 2017. I called the local police and opened the file but it was impossible to track the webpages, which generated such phishing fraud. Also my credit card provider started investigation but dropped it after recovering most of the money. Retinolla is still in business and neither TELUS, RCMP or Credit Card providers are able to stop it so far. There may be other big players involved, those who are paid for advertising and clicks in the phishing fraud: is it Facebook,  Google, Microsoft or Apple? I would suggest to start police and credit card investigations, perhaps the number and cost of such will lead to action.

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
These scams are not being based/operated in North America. They're overseas and are impossible for authorities to track down.. Never use your Credit card on pop under/over ads. Or ads that say click on "free" offers or "gifts" (insert random business based off your ip) it's always a scam.

All the scams try to deceive the public making it appear legit. Any money transactions online should always be on a secure https connection. The majority of scam sites never purchase an SSL.

Internet based crimes happen everyday. The end of the day the consumer has to be wise of the scams and use common sense.

Ron_T_R
Just Moved In

I  got taken by this "honest email"  I honestly did not see where these sneaky conditions were placed.

So the part of the scam that Telus survey is involved with is

YOUNGSKINCAREFORYOU.CO 7024108097 NV Purchase $138.48
99.95 USD,1 USD=01.385492746 CAD
INCLUDES 2.5% CONVERSION CHARGE

that is a subscription service  call them at 888-725-0673 and cancel that subscription "sucker"

On two of these they gave me back $80.oo USD because I did not see their claim that I was to get back to them in 14 days.

Suppose I left the province after and never got back over the 2 weeks.

The next one: BEAUTEDEELLE.COM +18198032757 CYP Purchase $179.95 is not affiliated with the above

nor this one: LUXOMER.COM +12268289886 CYP Purchase $189.98

It was obvious was it not meant to be, that you can get thse only  for

BEAUTEDEELLE.COM +18198032757 CYP Purchase $2.95
 BEAUTEDEELLE.COM +18198032757 CYP Purchase $5.95
 LUXOMER.COM +12268289886 CYP Purchase $5.99

Where did they bury the rest of the message.?

@kmort51 wrote:

I was victimized by an internet scam involving an unauthorized "Survey" company posing as conducting a survey for Telus ... once you completed the survey there was an offer for an appreciation gift.

Because it was from TELUS I did not investigate thoroughly enough and went along with receiving the "gift" .... short story ... I lost $180.

I see the same scam is circulating again as a "September Survey for Telus Customers" and wish TELUS would send out a warning email to their customers or at minimum post an alert statement on their website advising their customers of the scam.

Has anyone else seen the messages and fallen for this scam?