cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email self serve AWOL

canucks4life
Leader

Umm so as of right now My Account only shows a list of Email addresses and their associated identities there is no option to manage?

9 REPLIES 9

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

That sounds right. You are not alone in being frustrated by it.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Yeah I used to be able to access through old account system but now it is just useless...seriously it seems like this "new" My Account switchover has taken literally years now. Robot Sad

When I signed up for Internet PureFibre at the end of December I was told that new subscribers don't get an email account unless they ask for it ... and it looks like you have to phone or Chat to get anything configured.  So maybe Telus is trying to get out of the email business.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

It may be that ever fewer were using it, so, just like they no longer promote the webspace they once offered residential clients, email may also be disappearing. Given that Android phones are so tightly integrated into the Google ecosystem that you can't sensibly use one without a google account, Windows phones the same, leaving Apple as the only major supplier of smartphones where you need a different primary address to access an iCloud address and account.

Microsoft & others are moving to a subscription-based model for office software - requiring an Outlook.com address or other similar credentials  to access.

Add to that the number of folks switching ISP when a better deal comes along, what was once a hook to keep clients becomes a liability.

Free email services abound, and you can roll your own for about $10 per year, so it becomes ever easier to have an email address independent of your ISP.

NFtoBC

New customer just switched over from Shaw. The instruction 'book' left by the installer showed that email accounts could be created in the My Account section. I don't know when this changed but reality doesn't match what is in the print (no date on these cards but it says Version 2). Very disappointed to have to use Chat and wait in a queue behind 18 other customers. And what's with the 8 character limit on email account names?

Not impressed with this aspect of Telus.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I believe the assigned account name is 8 characters, but you can create an alias with a greater number of characters, or at least you could in the past, as my preferred email address is 10 characters.

NFtoBC

You're right about that. That was new to me but if hadn't noticed the system generated name and asked about it I wouldn't have known. My email client also required the system generated name (not the alias) to work.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I have had no difficulties using any of my aliases for login credentials.

NFtoBC

Jeepdriver
Friendly Neighbour

So the CSRs @ Pure Fibre don't have the tools to help us add/delete/change email (or alias) addresses. Obviously, the change needs to come from the top down.

It may be that poster NFtoBC is right and Telus is getting out of the email biz. Shame!