cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit checks on new accounts

westernseparatist
Just Moved In

I want to get home internet, and TV from Telus (as shaw is charging to much). My total monthly bill will be under $100. As Telus wants to do a credit check, normally I have no concerns about this. But as I am applying for a mortgage at the same time, I do not want a hit on my credit reports.

So is the Telus credit report a Hard inquirie, or a soft inquire?

5 REPLIES 5

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You could get the mortgage first!

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

ThePopper
Advocate

I went "back to Telus" from Shaw last Fall, and Telus did a "hard credit check", even tho I was a previous Telus customer of 35 years.  Telus even changed my account number, no idea why!

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

When you left Telus, you closed your account. That resulted in a new account having to be created when you came back, and that's why the new number and credit check. I've had Shaw hard check me before also. It's not an uncommon practice among a lot of companies when you sign up for service. Even your electricity or natural gas provider may hard check you as well.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I'm totally fine with it.  Thanks for your comment and enjoy your evening.

Lola
Rockstar

You can ask Telus to do a soft inquiry, and explain why, or go the other way and explain the Telus hard inquiry to your bank or mortgage lender. If you've been shopping for a mortgage, you have a 45 day window during which the hits from multiple potential lenders are combined as one small hit; ask your potential lenders about that. If you have a good score, one or two hits won't sink you anyway. I know people who have the worst credit scores on the planet and they qualify for everything. Cat LOL