cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

feedback from telus T3200M modem, create interference on cordless phone

dirtfarmer
Neighbour

i just  got a new  telus  T3200M the other   day, and since then i been have a problem with my cordless  phone, it  seem it picking up some  feedback  from  modem the close  the phone   get to modem the louded the feedback- move away  from modem and sound seem to quiet a lot, also notice there a  feedback on my compter speaker, same feedback as on phone

never has that problem on old  modem  but sure  do on this one

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Your computer speakers shouldn't be picking up anything from the new T3200m unless they're wireless and operate on the 2.4GHz band. Same goes for the cordless phone. Interference on cordless phones is a very old issue which started when cordless phones moved from 900MHz to 2.4GHz many years ago. Since then a lot has been done to ensure they can work together. How close is the phone base to the T3200? If you follow the advice from the first link you posted, have you tried moving the cordless phone?  Also since each device can run on a number of different channels on 2.4GHz, that should be simple to fix by changing channels on one or both. If your cordless phone is not a 2.4GHz model, then you will likely have something else interfering. My cordless phone base is about 6 feet from my T3200 and I have zero interference.

Log in to the T3200 and under wireless settings change the 2.4 and 5 GHz channels. Normally the T3200 will choose a channel for each that has the least amount of interference on it from other devices. A reboot of the T3200 is another way to get it to choose a new channel without logging in. Many newer cordless phones are actually 6GHz so they will be well outside the range the T3200 can operate in. 5GHz wifi covers a range from just below 5.2GHz to just over 5.8. My T3200 is operating on band 52 (5.26GHz). You can see which one yours is using under Status > Wireless Status. (5GHz Band list)

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Chicnstu
Leader
The T3200 has a stronger WiFi broadcast than the older modems. It sounds like your cordless phone might not be shielded against outside RF frequencies very well and it's causing the echo. Best thing I would suggest is to borrow a cordless phone from a friend or neighbor and plug it in at the same location and test it. If the noise goes away you know the issue is with your phone.

yes i agree, the new modem is a lot   stronger then my old modem, telus told me that when install, as i never had a problem with  feedback  before, funny part is  even my  computer  speaker is picking up the  feedback,  same   sound

i move the phone  away  by 2  ft and sound seem to disappear for most part on  cordless phone, i  even move  my speaker, but sound is still they

i cut cardborad and cover it  with aluminum  foil and that help with  feedback.. i put it  be ween the  modem and phone

if i move it out, i can  heard the  sound, put it  back it more or less gone, so moving it and the  foil seem to help

i found a couple  site that confirm that wi fi modem  can bug cordless phone

Determine if Your Wi-Fi Is Interfering With Your Cordless Phone Cordless phones and Wi-Fi can exist in harmony — at a distance

https://www.lifewire.com/wifi-interfere-with-cordless-phone-3971348

------------------------------------------------

Why Do Wireless Routers Interfere With Phone Line

https://itstillworks.com/wireless-routers-interfere-phone-lines-33560.html

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Your computer speakers shouldn't be picking up anything from the new T3200m unless they're wireless and operate on the 2.4GHz band. Same goes for the cordless phone. Interference on cordless phones is a very old issue which started when cordless phones moved from 900MHz to 2.4GHz many years ago. Since then a lot has been done to ensure they can work together. How close is the phone base to the T3200? If you follow the advice from the first link you posted, have you tried moving the cordless phone?  Also since each device can run on a number of different channels on 2.4GHz, that should be simple to fix by changing channels on one or both. If your cordless phone is not a 2.4GHz model, then you will likely have something else interfering. My cordless phone base is about 6 feet from my T3200 and I have zero interference.

Log in to the T3200 and under wireless settings change the 2.4 and 5 GHz channels. Normally the T3200 will choose a channel for each that has the least amount of interference on it from other devices. A reboot of the T3200 is another way to get it to choose a new channel without logging in. Many newer cordless phones are actually 6GHz so they will be well outside the range the T3200 can operate in. 5GHz wifi covers a range from just below 5.2GHz to just over 5.8. My T3200 is operating on band 52 (5.26GHz). You can see which one yours is using under Status > Wireless Status. (5GHz Band list)

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

my cordless phone is a Uniden 5.8 GHz, the same Frequency, it would seem as the new telus T3200M modem i have move the cordless base, 2 ft, and the feedback has gone down a lot, i also found that a sheet of Aluminium foil stop a lot of feedback or radio-frequency interference (RFI). i do not have any move room to move it with out it falling on floor https://emfacademy.com/aluminum-foil-emf-radiation/ i phone telus the nite of modem install and they remote change a lot of seting, but result where worst then feedback, somehow it wipe out my telus landline had to get them to go back to default setting and i what noting to do with messing around with that page, first time did not go to well