Weird issue with Outgping email on in my home

Highlighted
BigBen121
Connector

Yesterday - I was unable to send messages on any device from my home that was connected by wireless. This include a mac, iphone and ipad.

The message I kept getting was that my user name and password was incorrect. I knew this was not the case as I was able to use web mail. Initially Telus wanted to turn me over to Telus Plus for $120 - no thanks. I tried to explain it must be a router issue as I could send on my wired windows PC and I could also send when my iphone was on cell only. I spent a long time on the phone with Telus to no real solution, We did change my password and delete my account but this did not solve the problem. I left it overnight and the problem did resolve but there were two strange factors:

1) None of my wireless devices could send. My wife has windows pc and should could not send either. She has a wired connection albeit we have connected her to a the ethernet port on an Optik Box.

2) When I rebooted the router the problem resolved itself for 5 minutes then came back.

This leads me to some weird router issue as when we tried to delete re ad my account on the cell phone, when I got to the SMTP settings I got an error message that PORT 1025 timed out an the same when I tried PORT 465.

As I said the issue resolved itself overnight but I am at a loss to understand what went wrong

Community Power User
Community Power User

A few people have mentioned issues like this. Just to get a few more details, which modem/gateway do you have? Do you have a secondary router?

BigBen121
Connector

It is the new Actiontec V1000 routers. I had a Linksys Velop Router that was connected but I pulled it off once I saw the problem. I rebooted the router once I had pulled of the Velop router and I though the problem was fixed but it recurred within 5 minutes of the reboot.It was connected in  Bridge mode however. As I said the really strange piece was a could send on my  hard wired pc but my wife could not

Community Power User
Community Power User

The Actiontec V1000H router is ancient (2012). First step in my opinion would be to request an upgrade from Telus. The newer units will allow for proper port bridging amongst other options.  Give them a call!

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
BigBen121
Connector

Sorry my mistake it is the 1200h If I bridge it however won;t that screw up all my optik TV boxes?

Community Power User
Community Power User

Nope! You can bridge port 1 and run Optik on ports 2 - 4, or you can choose not to bridge port 1, and run the rest of your network on a subnet connected to port 1 (192.168.2.1) as I and a number of others do. This has created no difficulties for me with emails.

There is still the possibility your V1200H is gibbeled, but we won't know until a bit more exploratory time passes.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
BigBen121
Connector

So currently when I go into advanced features on the webpage it does allow me to Bridge port 1 - does this mean the optik would automatically be routed to ports 2-4 or do I have to go to one of the tables and make changes?

So I could setup my links Velop router as as subnet and have all the devices go through that router - is that what you are saying?