Underground / buried phone line locate

Highlighted
Bartman
Resident

I live out of town and have buried phone lines to my house. Now that I want to build a fence between the house and the road, I contacted Alberta1Call to locate utilities so I won't mess anything up when I pound posts into the ground 3 feet deep. Alberta1Call immediately warned me that not all utilities may be included in the request, so I looked into the services associated with Alberta1Call, and I only saw pipeline, oil & gas producers and my natural gas provider... nothing else. My power is coming to my house overhead, but Telus's line is buried / underground and not included in this locate request. So... just called Telus. Who told me that they are associated with Alberta1Call, and that I have nothing else to do ! 

Makes no sense. Telus has NOT been out... my phone line is NOT located, but Telus tells me I'm good to go. So... I've requested an e-mail from them, following up on our conversation, stating that Alberta1Call is all I need to worry about, hoping that will cover my butt when I tear through their line...

Anybody out there with similar experience ? 

Community Power User
Community Power User

It is correct that OneCall cannot see all buried lines and that Telus is not associated with them. OneCall is a non-profit organization. From what I've seen OneCall will typically mark of the more dangerous lines primarily and not phone lines even though they're listed on their color code FAQ. With rural properties the phone line could be coming from any point on the property line. Typical depth should be about 18 inches but that's not always the case. It could also be buried in a conduit depending on who installed it and when. Do you know approximately where the phone line crosses on to your property? If you can find it, and if you know approximately where on the house the line enters, you may be able to make an educated guess on where the line runs in relation to where you're planning the fence.  I do hope you don't hit the line as they can be rather difficult to fix, especially if in a conduit.

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Telus has a separate center you call. I'm in Mobility and I know this. Telus Cable Locate Support Centre. 1 800 980 0030 or email Cable.Locates@telus.com. 

Mobility Client Care Rep
Bartman
Resident

Well... turns out we were all wrong. I contacted Alberta1Call two more times, after which they did send a subcontractor out to locate the line through my yard. At no cost to me. Don't ask me why this wasn't done the first time... I had to hound them... but Alberta1Call did look after it.

Just wanted to let y'all know it WILL be done... just gotta be persistent with Alberta1Call...

I'm ready to build my fence Smiley Happy