Telus Internet keeps disconnecting - Technicians can't find out...

Highlighted
Stevey
Friendly Neighbour

Hello,

I am using Internet 25 - 2 mbps and 300gb data.

I'm using it for just typical home use.

After 4 months of use, my internet keeps disconnecting.

It would typically disconnect every 30~45 minutes for about 15~20 seconds.

Even when it's connected, during bad days, I would get 8 mbps for an hour with ethernet connection.

Wifi is just... awful. I tried changing the channels as well - didn't help.

My TV and cable is perfect. It's ONLY internet.

I had three technicians come at different times, and all they do is either change the router or keeps testing the speed until it's good, then they leave.

None of those incompetent technicians were able to resolve this issue.

Can someone please help me?

Community Power User
Community Power User
Where you have your modem/router located is it in a well ventilated space?

Do you happen to have a spare wireless router kicking around that you can use to test with?

Which Telus supplied Acriontec are you using?

Find this post useful? Hit the Like button.
Stevey
Friendly Neighbour

Thank you for the reply.

I have the router located in the living room, against the exterior wall. It's a very open living room.

I've only tried with a wifi usb adapter and different laptops... I don't have any wireless routers Smiley Sad

I have Model T1200H Actiontec router.

Community Power User
Community Power User
@Stevey Do you notice the internet issue more when your optik tv receivers are on? Or if a specific device is connected to your wifi, it will start having issues? Any particular time of day?

Stevey
Friendly Neighbour

My Optik tv doesn't seem to affect the internet at all.

My internet is quite bad between 6:30 PM and 2 AM.

Sundays are either pretty good or really bad.

During mornings, the speed is quite good (~28mpbs), but still disconnects at least once every hour.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Are you on copper or Fibre?

I had problems with a wet copper line at one time. However if all your services are on the one incoming line, then all should be showing issues at the same time.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Stevey
Friendly Neighbour

Actually... sorry I checked again.

I don't have fibre. It looks like internet and tv are both copper lines.

Is there a solution? =(

Community Power User
Community Power User

All I suggest is to keep a record of the times your Internet is down, or very slow, so you can relate the issue to the CSR and to thevTech when he /she arrives. The more info you have, the better able they are to,diagnose the problem.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The odd thing is that if the TV is working ok, the internet at least has enough available bandwidth to run the TVs. I wonder if it's just a random drop in available speed (Telus usually can see that if the support person looks). When the issue is there, can you try logging into the modem to see what speed your connection has? If the actual connection/line speed itself drops that could give the tech something to focus on.

Stevey
Friendly Neighbour

Yeah... I guess that's why Telus could never figure out why my internet keeps disconnecting...

When I run speed test during down times, I get a ping of 147 ms, download speed of about 0.7 Mbps...

I called Telus 4 times now explaining all that, but the only thing they did recently was change the channel.

It solved the problem.... for 10 minutes.... 

Community Power User
Community Power User

You had previously mentioned a physically connected device experienced slow connections as well. I still think double checking the modem speed itself, on it's status page, would help see if it's the connection or something more local.

For the speedtest are you using speedtest.net or another site? 147ms is usually considered bad if it's to a server relatively nearby. Your previous information seems to indicate the speed is bad during prime hours. Are you in a city or a smaller town? Are there a lot of wireless networks nearby? 

Stevey
Friendly Neighbour

Is it the downstream rate?

It stays as 46976Kbps even though internet slows down...

I've been only using speedtest.net to test the speed and I live in Vancouver area.

When I check the wifi analyzer, there are about 16 different networks nearby.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Weird. You should have no issues at all with that amount of available bandwidth. As to what is causing it I'm not sure. It's either the modem itself or something in the house but if you've had the modem replaced already, I can't see there being multiple bad modems. 16 networks is nothing - I've got upwards of 50 near me and that many does cause the odd rare wireless slowdowns but not many and only minimal impact if on a busy channel.

Only thing I can think of trying would be to see if you can borrow a router from someone with a spare and see if that makes any difference at all.

Foonus
Coach

Hello, Are you disconnecting with WIFI only or on wired as well?

If you are able to see the modem when this happens do you see the lite on it go through the reset cycle?

If its WIFI only pretty sure I know whats going on... If its the latter, then its defiantly a hardware issue with the something outside of your home.

Community Power User
Community Power User

@Foonus - OP posted earlier that the TV stays working fine when the connection to the non-TV devices has problems.

Community Power User
Community Power User
As @Nighthawk suggests, I would strongly recommend testing it with another router. Even if you had to buy and return it. I'd be more inclined to say it would fix your problem.

Don't really have anything to lose at this point.

Foonus
Coach

Nighthawk wrote:

@Foonus - OP posted earlier that the TV stays working fine when the connection to the non-TV devices has problems.

Wasn't quite sure if those TV's were connected wireless like mine are, assuming that the TV's are wired and not wireless..

It's quite possible that OP has issues with a malicious user in the area spamming de auth commands at the router in attempt to capture a wireless handshake and use various applications to decrypt it to find the login info. The clients would be disconnecting just as described in the first post.

It also makes sense that if its someone close enough to do it they are within a block or 2 range of you,  so they would see a service van outside your house and wouldn't be very clever to try it when technician is there.

There are ways to deal with it if this is whats happening...

Stevey
Friendly Neighbour

Hi. Thanks for all the replies.

I have two computers - Laptop which is wired and desktop that's wireless.

Surprisingly, the connection has been quite good for the past two days, but it does still disconnect every 2~3 hours.

Although the laptop is wired, it disconnects, then it connects itself wireless afterwards...

This is my second router... Should I still ask Telus to replace it?

I'm not sure why, but sometimes only wireless is bad as well...

What Foonus mentioned might be the case actually... Previously, I did notice an unknown device connect to my router... so I changed the password right away and got a new router afterwards. What do you suggest?

Thanks

Community Power User
Community Power User

Stevey wrote:

Although the laptop is wired, it disconnects, then it connects itself wireless afterwards...

Weird. The wired connections should come on first. what happens if you turn off the Wi-Fi on the laptop?

Stevey wrote:

This is my second router... Should I still ask Telus to replace it?

No, you should ask for the issue to be addressed - don't presume it is the router, though it could well be.  I suggest keeping a diary of the problems and times so you can discuss with the Telus CSR or Tech. That's what led to the Tech discovering the issue was the copper line to my house, rather than a problem within my walls.......

NFtoBC
Stevey
Friendly Neighbour

If I turn off the Wi-Fi, I don't get a connection for about 5~10 minutes.

I'm not sure if it's the computer's fault or not, but I typically restart the computer after 2~3 minutes and I get the ethernet connection back on.

Thank you for the advise. I'm glad I'm not alone in this problem.

I will definitely start writing down when the issue occurs, the ping and the download speed at the moment then let the Tech know.