Telus Bundle Discount to be discontinued Jan 21 2018

Irishgranny
Ambassador

No notice on my Dec. Telus bill....so much for Loyalty rewards.  Another reason to look at Shaw...even tho I've been a customer for over 20 yrs.  Definitely not the old BC Tel.!!

furmama
Resident

WHAT! I didn't knw this.  Thanks for the heads up.  I might start looking to go back to Shaw.

Irishgranny
Ambassador

If they're taking away our bundled discount, are they going to come up with some type of Loyalty program to replace it ?  Supposedly they are implementing this in limited locations...how about the rest of us who have been with Telus (and BC Tel) for 20 yrs or more....are we getting ANYTHING for not switching to Shaw ?  Seems they love to offer incentives to new customers, but are forgetting about the old ones !

blastertoad
Helpful Neighbour

The January date is only for new customers signing on. Existing clients will get notice on their bills soon as bundle discounts end in March for them. Telus has been making huge investments in fiber optic infrastructure, they are still the only group in Canada offering fiber to home. As for those mentioning Shaw just remember they are known to make regular price hikes, last year 3 hikes at $2-$4, and they use shared node so your internet speed is dependent on your neighbors. I have had Shaw, its not fun, and upload speeds suck.

Irishgranny
Ambassador

Thanks for clarifying the stop date for bundled discount.  But still....Telus continues to offer great incentives to new customers, but does nothing to keep their old ones interested in staying with them.  I'm still waiting for my 2018 calendar !  They said they were implementing a new Loyalty program, but only in selected areas....what about the rest of us ?  I know it cost millions to bring in the fibre optic but they need to protect their customer base or there won't be anyone left to pay for it.  Okay..end of rant !

Skiddy
Advisor

Long time TELUS client, I am in the North Delta area and got a cold call during December offering a $20 per month discount if I agreed to stay as a customer over the next two years. $20 per month was split $10 each for internet and Optik. 

Irishgranny
Ambassador

Did you have a contract that was due to expire ?  Doesn't seem right that they would discontinue everyone else from the bundle discount, yet still be offering discounts to some customers.

Musketter2018
Resident

If you signed a new contract before December 20 then you get to keep your bundle discount until the end of your promotional period. 

https://www.telus.com/en/ab/support/article/telus-bundle-discount-rate-changes

Skiddy
Advisor

@Irishgranny if this was directed at me, I was not under any contract, just a loyal long time client. The $20/month discount may be really an $11 per month discount when I lose my $9 per month TELUS bundle discount, kind of the old haberdasher's discount....

Irishgranny
Ambassador

Musketter..

Thanks for that info...hope signing up for Netflix last week doesn't count !  Oh well, guess I'll find out with my next bill.  I still am upset that there is no Loyalty reward for long time customers (20+ yrs).  What's our incentive to stay with Telus rather than move around and pick up some of the competitions sign-up offers ?  

Irishgranny
Ambassador

Skiddy...

I'm also a long-time customer...going back to the 60's when hubby worked for them.  It seems we keep losing perks but our bill keeps going up.  As I mentioned above , what's our incentive to stay with them ?

Skiddy
Advisor

@Irishgranny Might be worth a call to TELUS, as I said, I got a cold call offering a loyalty credit of $20/month off OPTIK and Internet. You may be on the “to call” list but no harm in calling and asking if you are eligible. Can’t see why you would not be. 

They are laying fibre in my neighbourhood as we converse here, so maybe the $20 loyalty discount is an incentive to upgrade services when the fibre is installed. 

Minky
Coach

I have no interest in fibre optic as it won't be in my area in the foreseeable future.  why do I have to pay for this?  They are upgrading to make higher profits so Telus should be responsible for it.

morfao
Connector
Telus is the only provider offering a bundle discount.Yes they are taking it away.They are trimming costs to invest in fibre

I called custumer service the other day and i was told a loyalty program is coming before the end of the month

I had shaw before and their net sucks.i dont mind paying a little bit more and knowing i have better service
Community Power User
Community Power User

Minky wrote:

I have no interest in fibre optic as it won't be in my area in the foreseeable future.  why do I have to pay for this?  They are upgrading to make higher profits so Telus should be responsible for it.

In every company current customers, and shareholders pay for future infrastructure. The money has to come from somewhere!

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Skiddy
Advisor

@NFtoBC True, the money has to come from either the shareholders or the customer base. Companies want as little funding as possible to come from the shareholder, making the client base the first choice.

The issue to many customers is the ridiculously high price charged within the Canadian and US markets. It can be argued government regulator actions, or lack of action, are not in the best interest of the public, focusing on benefits to the industry. Both the CRTC and the FCC have allowed the current high pricing/profit situation to develop. The move in the US to end net-neutrality is a situation that Canadian ISPs lust for, hopefully the Commission will not allow it.  

Community Power User
Community Power User

@Skiddy

I’ve often stated: “Capitalism is not a form of government.” Though it seems to be the leading goal in North America just now.  There has been great pressure to avoid public expenditure for such infrastructure, leading to the situation we now see.  I blame a lot on our proximity to the Excited States, blinding us to other options, as seen in other countries.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
morfao
Connector
Trust me u will have it soon

They are ugrading to fibre like crazy and their goal is to have all province completed by 2019

As for now call loyalty department thru customer service.they will work with u and give u a discount off each service
Kevw
Organizer
I wouldn't be so hard on Shaw. I live in Surrey the fastest growing and one day largest city in BC. There is no Fibre internet in my neighbourhood right now or the foreseeable future! Shaw offers 150 Mbps down and delivers full train rate of 178 Mbps 24/7. Cable internet is a very real competitor to Fibre. With the implementation of Docsis 3.0 Shaw could offer 1 Gbps speeds. Telus's adoption of Fibre is marketed to consumers as higher speeds but the real motivation is to reduce long term costs. Fibre eliminates most end point service calls and also elimnates costly switching equipment repairs.