New 4K PVR - HDCP Error Through Denon Amp

Highlighted
YC1984
Neighbour

Hi all,

Hoping to get some guidance about a recent issue I have been experiencing with my Denon AVR-X4200W. I was recently provided with a 4K Arris PVR from Telus.  My TV itself is not 4K, it only supports 1080p which is fine for my needs right now.

When I connect the PVR directly to the TV, everything works fine. I'm able to get the picture and the sound from the TV.

The problem is that I get the following error when I connect the PVR to the Denon receiver inputs "This content can not be displayed because your TV does not support HDCP 2.2". I can hear the sound coming from the speakers but no picture at all.

On the PVR, the video output is set to 1080p not 4K resolution. I reached out to Denon's support and they believe the problem is the PVR. They think that there is a "handshake" issue between the PVR and the receiver, i.e. the receiver thinks it's getting a 4K instead of the 1080p signal through HDMI and the receiver is trying to pass through the 4K to a TV that is not able to process the signal.

Denon thinks the only way to resolve this is for Telus / Arris to do a firmware update on the PVR.

I'm now stuck since the PVR 

Community Power User
Community Power User

The HDMI pass-through on the Denon receiver is 4K compatible according to their website. The error your seeing would typically indicate that either the receiver is not compatible or you may still have some older HDMI 1.4 cables in use. Double check your cables. If they say "High Speed HDMI" or "HDMI 1.4" or less, you'll need to get a 2.0+ cable.

YC1984
Neighbour
Hi Nighthawk,

Thanks for the replay. Alas, it's not a cable problem. All my cables are HDMI 2.0+ compatible. Futhermore, I setup the PVR video output to 1080p not 4K so the receiver shouldn't be getting a 4K signal to try and route to the TV.

YC1984
Community Power User
Community Power User

Is the PVR connected to the receiver or the tv first? Tried any other HDMI ports on TV?

YC1984
Neighbour

If I connect the PVR to the TV directly, everything works fine (I can hear the sound from the TV speakers and see the video on the TV).

However, when I connect the PVR to the receiver (the same way I used to with the older Telus PVR), I can't see the video but can hear the sound coming from my home theatre speakers.

Yes, I tried different  ports on the TV and on the receiver but no luck. The Denon support guy was just flabbergasted because connecting the PVR to the TV works which means that the signal coming out of the PVR is not 4K (my TV can't process 4K).

vishwa
Ambassador

This problem started with two firmwares ago.  It was working fine and the second last firmware broke it.  There isn't much you can do about it.  I have the same setup and I tried everything and finally gave up.  Now(until I buy a 4K tv) I have it connected using the component breakout cable from the PVR. Ideally, the PVR should sense the whole HDMI chain, see that the TV is only 1080p and also not HDCP 2.2 and adjust itself.  It did that from July to October or November.  When the firmware got updated, it broke it and would only work if you connected it to the TV directly.  As soon as you connect it to Denon(which is HDCP 2.2) it sets itself for the Denon and when the TV is not 2.2, gives the error.  I was hoping the next firmware would fix it but it didn't.

If you come up with a solution, please come back and share it here.

YC1984
Neighbour
This is pretty much aligned with what the Denon tech support said, i.e. the problem os from the PVR.

I've been pretty annoyed with Telus because or this issue as well as others that came with this upgrade (2nd PVR freezing, internet has become slow, etc.). Therefore I called them and they said I shouldn't have received a
4K PVR in the first place since the network in my neighbourhood is slow and very old. They're sending a tech to replace these 4K PVR's with something different. Hopefully, it's something that works...

I'm gona check out what Shaw has to offer because I've spent the weekend trying to resolve the problem and with Denon and Telus's tech support for a problem from an untested PVR.
vishwa
Ambassador

I hope you get an IPV 6015.  I know that it works(it did a while ago, haven't checked it recently).  It has HDCP but a lower level one so should be good.  

miw
Resident

Glad to see this message.

I jut got the 4K PVR box.  It was originally plugged into a non-4K Denon receiver which then fed to a non-4K TV.  All worked fine until... I upgraded the receiver to a 4k receiver.. .The tv remains non-4k (had to upgrade the receiver because an animal chewed through cables causing short in our kids' play room receiver, prompting a shifting of receivers and purchase of new, 4K of course, receiver; 4K TV to come sometime later this year).  New 4K receiver is a Denon.  Suddenly the new 4K PVR doesn't communicate with existing non-4K TV like it used to, though sound works.  Bizarre, but glad to see it is the PVR problem and not a Denon problem.  I really hope this gets fixed.  its annoying to run the PVR direct to the TV and then get sound to the Denon through the ARC connection (fortunately the TV sends the DD+ audio to the receiver).

Telus, please fix.

vishwa
Ambassador

It would be nice if Telus fixed it but I think it is unlikely.  I don't think Telus thinks it is broken as the 4K PVR works fine with older TVs, when connected directly.  What would be nice to see is for someone with recent HDCP 2.2 compatible non-Denon receivers to chime in here who have the Arris VIP5662 4K PVR.  That will ascertain whether Denon has partial blame or it is purely Telus firmware.  I do have an Onkyo but it is older.  Someone with Onkyo or Yamaha or Pioneer 2016 models--if you are using the Telus PVR and a 1080p TV, please report here your observations.

Trackman
Resident

I've recently "upgraded" to the new 4k Telus box and my Denon x4000 is not liking it either. I get the same message on my TV which is  4k .

If I connect the Telus box direct to the tv it works fine. Supposedly my receiver is suppose to be able to pass thru 4K but I guess not. 

.........And they said technology will make things easier.

vishwa
Ambassador

The truth is that one firmware version before the latest broke something.  I have had the Denon AVRx3200w and the 4K PVR worked fine until the next update(November 2016?).After that it never worked.  I am using the component now.  If it never worked with Denon there was a reason to suspect Denon.  But, I am convinced it is from the PVR side.  I tried everything including the recommended fix of taking the TV off power etc.  Nothing seems to work.

It is also possible that it is a particular combination of Denon and new 4K firmware.  I don't have any current generation avrs other than the Denon to test. 

denon3300
Resident

I just got the new 4K pvr from Telus and I get the same problem when connected to my Denon 3300W AVR. I don't have any problem with the older box that was just replaced. As I have 2 boxes, the technician used the non-pvr non-4k box to connect to my Denon AVR and used the new 4K pvr to connect directly connected to my non-4k tv. The technician said that this is the first time he encountered this issue.

Anybody found a solution to this Denon issue yet?

frwiz
Resident

I have the same frustrating problem and tried different things with no help. I have a Yamaha RX-A3050 receiver. When the 4K PVR is connected directly to my JVC 1080P projector with my new HDMI 2.0b cables the video works great. But when I pass it through the receiver, which has the latest firmware update, no video! What I don't understand is that both the receiver and the projector are HDCP compliant. I have both the Arris VIP5662 4K and the 1080P unit. I have one in my theater room and the other in my gym room. The 1080P unit works well through the receiver but not the 4K unit. I read on other forums "why are we using 4K PVR's with 1080P TV's". The answer is simple, I will be upgrading to a 4K HDR projector in an year or two, when the prices have dropped and HDR better implicated. For now the real reason is that the menu system and everything else in general is sluggish in the 1080P unit, where as the 4K unit everything is much more speedier. I know because I have both, and since 90 per cent of the time I'm in the theater room compared to the gym, it's obvious why I want the speedier unit in my home theater. I also think the cause of the problem is the 4K PVR, because I've read on different forums that people with different brands of receivers are having the same problem. Very frustrating, modern technology bull**bleep**......Frank

rb88
Connector
I am having the same problem but with my fairly new Sony Strdn-1060 receiver, just updated to the 4K boxes. If the box is connected directly it works on 1080p to the tv. However as soon as I connect it to the receiver then then tv I get the please plug into hdcp 2.2 input. I tried even setting the box to display just in 1080p but again only get sound like the rest of you. Luckily I have tvs with 1080p wireless boxes that I can use with this receive until I purchase a 4K tv.
Community Power User
Community Power User
A hdcp 2.2 switcher will bypass this issue. But another piece of clutter.

Hit the like button if you like an authors post.
rb88
Connector

Telus is now using  NEW 4K pvr/wireless stb Than they were using before it just released a month ago. I wonder if this will fix the HDCP error 

vishwa
Ambassador

@rb88: Thanks for the update on this.  Do you happpen to have a model number of the newer sets? 

rb88
Connector
Technicolor UIW8001 - 4kpvr and Technicolor UIW4001 -4K wireless
vishwa
Ambassador

Thank you, very much.  Telus Tech will be coming here soon and I will try to see if it makes a difference.  It used to work and then one of the firmware updates broke it and ever since I have been using the breakout component cables.