cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent ipv6 connectivity after upgrading to fiber in North Vancouver

RR923
Organizer

I just upgraded to fiber from DSL and got swapped to a T3200m modem as well. I am still getting an ipv6 address (real 2001:569:...)however, routing of ipv6 is no longer working. Windows responds "Destination net unreachable" when trying to ping any valid ipv6 address. I am able to ping the link local and ipv6 address of the T3200m. On the T3200m, using the ipv6 ping test page, all internet addresses are timing out as well which leads me to believe there's an issue in the core network. I've rebooted both the ONT (Nokia) and T3200m but the same problem persists.

Ipv6 was working fine on DSL, and it has intermittently worked in the 36 hours or so that I've had fiber but it seems more down than up. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Any next troubleshooting steps?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello

As an update, I have spoken to our network team and there is indeed a vendor specific difference of opinion in how the RFC is handled to maintain an IPv6 default route. Without getting into specifics, the Actiontec T3200M drops the route after 90 minutes in certain areas of North Van. There is a firmware update scheduled in the next 6 months to resolve this, unfortunately I do not have a specific date.

Workaround: Replace the Actiontec T3200M with Actiontec T1200H. This will not drop the IPv6 route.

Caveat: This older Actiontec gateway has slower WIFI and uses HPNA over Ethernet, not MOCA like the current 3200M does. If you have TV services using the coax cable in your house, this solution will break the TV aspect of the service.

If this works for you and are ok with the caveats, please reach out to the support team via the chat and mention this post. We will send out a  gateway pro bono to you by mail or by technician depending on availabilities. The agent can reach out to me specifically if they need clarification. They will check the network to see if you would be impacted and advise accordingly.

Updates are pushed to the gateways either via schedule or when a factory reset is performed so without a specific date known, would recommend a manual firmware update from time to time to see if a new one has been released. 

If you have any success with this workaround, please post an update here.

Jordan

View solution in original post

56 REPLIES 56

RR923
Organizer

Further update:

1. IPv6 works upon initial reboot of the T3200m router. I am able to ping external ipv6 addresses

2. It seems exactly 92 minutes after reboot, the T3200m stops routing ipv6 but continues to route ipv4.

Telus, Any ideas? I cannot be rebooting the router every 90 minutes. I have a case with Technical support, but their answer is that they are not trained on ipv6.

After some further troubleshooting:

In the T3200m ipv6 routing table, the default route (to the link local address of the Telus edge router) disappears after 90 minutes leaving no default route for ipv6 traffic. This is exactly the T2 timer specified in the DHCPv6 lease from the Telus edge router. Analysis of the DHCPv6 packets between the T3200m and the Telus edge router show that the T3200m requests and the Telus DHCP server does renew the v6 PD lease at ~60 minutes but it seems the Actiontec does not process this renewal and removes the ipv6 default route incorrectly when the original T2 value from the initial lease expires. This appears to be a very serious Actiontec bug. I'm on version 31.164L.13. Is this a known issue?

This is easily reproduceable - after a router restart, ipv6 works for the first 90 minutes and then stops routing. ipv6 websites (google, netflix, etc) become sluggish as they need to fallback to ipv4.

I need to update my original analysis. The default route in ipv6 is provided by ICMP RA (Router Advertisement) messages not DHCPv6. From my packet capture, it appears that the Telus edge router is only sending RAs as a response to a Router Solicit, not at regular intervals as required by the standard. This is causing the default ipv6 route to expire after the initial 5400s timer. So it appears to be a Telus local edge router problem. Now the challenge will be to get past technical support to report this.

I'm experiencing this exact issue.

Any luck with this?  Extremely annoying...

One other thing I noticed is that even if I put in a switch between the ONT and the TELUS modem, then hook up my own router to the switch adjacent to the TELUS modem, the problem still occurs.  This leads me to believe that the issue is either with the ONT, or in how TELUS is handling IPv6.

Thoughts?

@RR923 wrote:

I need to update my original analysis. The default route in ipv6 is provided by ICMP RA (Router Advertisement) messages not DHCPv6. From my packet capture, it appears that the Telus edge router is only sending RAs as a response to a Router Solicit, not at regular intervals as required by the standard. This is causing the default ipv6 route to expire after the initial 5400s timer. So it appears to be a Telus local edge router problem. Now the challenge will be to get past technical support to report this.

Have you tried to check if there is Firmware available?  I remember having dsmr issue until representative re-flashed their T3200m 

@RR923 wrote:

Any updates? fix?

Because all this would explain why I'm so much issues with mine too... and have to reboot my modem way too many times 😞

Hi all,

Anyone that had this issue have it resolved? I am in North Van and I have had this issue since I signed up. I contacted support that just refered this to the back office which I never hear a reply from.
I also had the modem swapped but that did not change a thing. I have to keep rebooting my modem to resolve this issue every 92 minutes, which isn't much of a solution.

No one else is having this issue still? This is a ongoing thing for me still and the only resolution I have had is to restart my modem. Does Telus staff monitor this forum?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@jag_rana wrote:
Does Telus staff monitor this forum?

Generally, no. This is a customer driven forum. Staff jump in at rare intervals. Support is managed through the options in the ‘Contact Us’ section. I recommend their Social Media options as best for more challenging issues, such as you describe.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Ok makes sense. I have tried the support through contact us but it's been just a let me refer this to back office without any response back ever.

I will try the social media option. Is there a reason the support on social media is better? Just that it's public facing?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@jag_rana wrote:
Ok makes sense. I have tried the support through contact us but it's been just a let me refer this to back office without any response back ever.

I will try the social media option. Is there a reason the support on social media is better? Just that it's public facing?

Because the Social Media group aren't trying to complete the interaction including resolution within a narrow time window, they are more able to address things with the tech group.  No guarantees of resolution, though. I've been waiting  many months for correction to the time zone setting on two micro-cells in my town. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Jordan_Labelle
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hey folks

I can help take a look into this but to speed things along I would like to determine if this is a result of moving to Fiber, issue is caused by the Actiontec 3200 or merely a network config issue isolated to a specific network element. 

The core routing and distribution layers between DSL and Fiber is exactly the same, the access layers are the only things different.

If anyone has a chance, can you bypass the Actiontec completely and plug the PC into the same port of what the Actiontec was using (usually it is ONT port1) Let it sit overnight and retest connectivity in the AM. 

We aren't aware of major connectivity issues involving IPV6, this is tested quite extensively. That being said, we have an extremely low volume of users for it so far.

If everything works fine with the Actiontec out of the way, please post the firmware revision it is using.

Jordan

Are you referring to IPv6 testing using a PC? If so I believe that doesn't work because most DHCPv6 clients don't request a /56 prefix, while a router does.

I think you are right, /64 is meant for hosts.

Let me take this back and think about it a different way.

Jordan

I've tested a while ago (for different reasons) under Linux and it's possible to request a /56 prefix, emulating a router under Linux. Other then that, nope.

Disregard the two "Under Linux"'s. A bit sleepy 😛

Just a update on my issue. I live in North Van and this issue is due to some hardware in the telusn infestructure.

There is no ETA on the fix and I am willing to be this is a combination of lack of trainingnon the tech support side and people not nessiaarly knowing there is a issue. I suggest anyone that that has this issue contact support and insist they look into it.

I finally got traction using Twitter support and asking them to escalate it. Some of their escalation support reps know what is going on, but a very small amount. Infact in my previous inquiries the back offices response was that ipv6 is not supported...which is not true.

So long story short...if you are having this issue complain so the issue will be escalated.

Hi folks

I think we have found the problem and found a workaround. Might need another day or two before we can release next steps. Thank you for your patience!

Jordan

Great news. Thanks for the update Jordan!