ISSUE: Sony Android TV (750D) Wired/Wireless Internet Throttled

Highlighted
waiwai
Neighbour

Hi everyone,

Here is the issue I'm experiencing:

I am subscribed to Telus Fibre 150/150. I have a PC (wired), iPhone (wifi), and iPad (wifi) all of which get full speeds on the network and have no issues to date. I bought a Sony Android 4K TV (XBR65X750D - it is running 6.0 marshmallow) 3 days ago, and noticed that straight out of the box the TV was only getting 20 mbps download on wifi, while via wired it only got 40 mbps. There was one time where I got 40 mbps on wifi but that happened like once out of approximately 25 speedtests, the remainders of the test results fluctuated between 5-20 mbps on wifi. I have tried many things:

1. Factory Reset TV - no change

2. Power cycled Telus Router/Modem - no change

3. I am located in a condo complex so I switched between bands (2.4 and 5) and tested each channel available on each. There were some channels that gave me better ping but download speed results remained consistent between 5 mbps - 25 mbps where top range was not achieved as much as the low range). I also tried switching between 20, 40 and 80 MHz channel width. 20 and 40 provided more stable results, but still no improvement in max download speed. Oddly, the router/modem is approximately 2 meters away from the TV and the TV indicates "Excellent" signal strength on wifi.

4. Disabled ipv6 on WAN - no change

I have yet to try disabling QoS and WMM, and I forgot to check the firmware of my Telus modem/router. After each test, I checked all of my other devices and internet connections on those remained consistent and flawless. Forgot to mention that the TV gets upload speeds between 20-70 mbps... But not sure if that will help in troubleshooting the download speeds.

I know the TV can handle a faster connection, but something seems to be limiting the bandwidth.

Would appreciate some help. Thanks in advance.

Community Power User
Community Power User

It is likely an issue with the TV itself if other devices in the house aren't experiencing the same issue.

Community Power User
Community Power User
Make sure your tv firmware is the latest. Your version should be PKG6.2414.0040NAA which was released May 10.

But I agree with @Nighthawk this is an issue with the TV itself not Telus.. 40Mbps is more then sufficient for any streaming apps even if HDR content.

Find this post useful? Hit the Like button.
waiwai
Neighbour

40 mbps was not consistent, I was getting consistently between 5-20 mbps. I will check on the firmware.