Has anyone noticed their 4K PVR slow when skipping ahead or back lately?

Highlighted
Telusgrom
Connector

It seems the PVR is taking between 1 and 2 seconds long with a sound dropout when skipping forward or back both with live tv or recorded programs. I called about the issue and was told it may be a recent software update that may have slowed down the pvr and there us nothing that can  be done to resolve it. I dont know about you but this kind of ticks me off..

Community Power User
Community Power User
I don’t experience any issues with my 4K receivers. Have you power cycled your modem then the receivers.
Telusgrom
Connector

Yes, power cycled everything. The skip used to react instantly but now a 1 or so second delay. The support tech said there have been issues since they did a firmware updare to version 3.3. 

Just_LH
Coach

For me it completely changed.

After every press, it used to show what it jumped to. I call it preview picture. That is gone!

Now it just shows the picture where you started and nothing as you keep pressing the button. But it does skip, it's just a surprise where it stops.

This started 3 days ago, I hope it was a bad device update.

Community Power User
Community Power User
4-5 skips is usually all one needs for commercials. If you really want to scrub bar with timer if it vanishes hit ok then skip ahead etc.
Telusgrom
Connector

Yes thats the same symptom as mine, I think I just describe it differently. I dont like it because of the 1 second delay, it used to be instant when you press the skip button. Sound also drops for the 1 second while the screen is frozen.

james15
Resident

I just noticed this last night as well.  Used to be instantaneous, now it feels like it lags.  Not enjoying this new update.

Just_LH
Coach

I can appreciate your approach on how to make it work, but it was working. So for me, the first action is to undo the mistake.

Of cause an acknowledgement from Telus that this is happening would be first step. There isn't even a history for undates.

On your suggestion, yes I could see the time that way and the 4 presses for commercial is about right, but I do use it for finding other points too. As "forward" is even harder to use on higher speed .

thanks

Just_LH
Coach

Maybe you used to press it once, I noticed less abut what happens at one, but big difference with many presses.

Just_LH
Coach

I don't know when that was, but a while ago, like summer, there was another change they never corrected.

The timer bar on the bottom never stayed on before, then one day it started to stay up and have to press something to make it go away.

That must be a bug as well.

rainforester
Connector

I have noticed the same issue with the skipping being much slower - half second delay with each press of the button. The CSR that I spoke with set up an appointment for a technician to check it out, but it's obviously a firmware bug, so I don't think it will be resolved until Telus fixes the issue with a new update.

vishwa
Ambassador

I am writing here not so much as to complain but just to confirm that I also have noticed the lag in the response to Forward and Reverse Skip button presses.  Given the history of firmware updates, there is a good chance this is the way it will be for foreseeable future, just like the HDCP error when passing through AV receivers, Video not cutting off when powered off etc.

Edit: @Just_LH: Thanks for pointing that out. I had mapped those buttons to FF and REV on my remote hence the wrong nomenclature.  I edited the post.

Just_LH
Coach

Just_LH
Coach

"skipping being much slower"

The CSR I spoke to suggested maybe the button on the remote was stuck. I hung up.

To clarify, it is still working for you? So you press it 3 times and a picture comes in and you can press it again to skip once more before it starts to play?

vishwa
Ambassador

Sorry.  I edited the post.  It was the 30 sec forward and 10 sec reverse skip keys.  My mistake in the naming the buttons as I had them mapped to the keys on Harmony remote.

DeanD
Connector

Same issue here as well on the 4K PVR.  Restarted everything and no change.  Very annoying to say the least.

rainforester
Connector

We have an ISB7100 set top box connected to a TV in another room. Even though it's much older technology than our 4K PVR, it's significantly faster at skipping through commercials than the 4K box, which is now downright sluggish in comparison. Hope Telus fixes this issue soon!

Just_LH
Coach

"Same issue here as well on the 4K PVR.  Restarted everything and no change.  Very annoying to say the least."

Thank you for saying something .... at this point they haven't even acknowledged it.

Most Helpful
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there @Telusgrom et al.

The slow-down is an unintended result of the most recent update. It's something we're aware of and we're working on resolving the issue ASAP. I wanted to share here as I know there's been some challenges getting a clear answer.

Thanks for the posts and we appreciate your patience while we get things back in order.

vishwa
Ambassador

@Scoto: Thank you very much for the update.  It gives a good feeling that Telus knows about the issue and a fix is on the way.  On this occasion, may I ask if the HDCP error when the signal goes through a modern AVR is also being addressed, at some point?